CIGV Time Signal

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CIGV Time Signal

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 am

Do any stations still do a 10AM time signal? In 1984 Pentiction's CIGV did .. here it is along with a CIGV jingle and news intro.

CIGV
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:23 am

Never realized it before, but the Time Signal is the one constant in all of my on-air jobs in Radio. Haven't tried lately, but I could still recite it 30 years later.

Funniest Time Signal story comes from Theo Donnelly, which he told me when we worked together at CJAT Trail. He, of course, was very good at it, as his weekday shift included the Time Signal. But one morning, he heard the preamble on the CBC network feed, but the tone never appeared. So, he added his own. Verbally. No other choice, as the CJAT-AM board didn't have any buttons to push to create a tone.

The "National Research Council Official Time Signal" was, in fact, quite important to people well into the 1960s. My great uncle owned a jewellry store in Cranbrook, and watches were a big part of his business. He personally did the adjustments and repair work both during the initial sale of a new watch. And the repairs and/or cleanings later on.

He was always there at 11:00 a.m. every morning (Cranbrook is on Mountain time) to set his master clock by the CBC time signal. I assume it was aired on CKEK, but the CBC may have had an LPRT there. He would use that master clock to set any watches and clocks sold or repaired.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CIGV Time Signal

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:03 pm

radiofan wrote:Do any stations still do a 10AM time signal?

RF, I don't think there are any commercial stations in BC that are still required to run CBC stuff any more, are there?

And, isn't it actually a time "long dash"? :)

Oh, and here it is
http://archives.cbc.ca/science_technolo ... lips/5772/

I believe that's Alan Maitland isn't it?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Yes, the clip from the CBC archives is Alan Maitland, cartie. They actually credit him. But any credits (as these do) that say this was recorded off television are quite rightly suspect.

But, the real question is: who does the News intro? Definitely someone who went to Allan McFee's CBC School of Hard Knocks because, to my ear, he is clearly influenced by Allan's reading style.

The trivia section had this to say: "The official time signal is the longest-running feature on CBC Radio." Some wags once said it was also their most creative.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Good to hear "Fireside Al" - thanks cart machine ole chum

Feb 11/99 - Maitland died of a heart failure due to congestive heart disease in a Vancouver hospital at the age of 78.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm

In the sixties, CKOV carried some CBC programming, usually starting with a 10 minute newscast at 4pm.
We also carried the time signal every day and Art Vipond, who had an old ship's chronometer gimbal mounted in a wooden box, would religiously re-set it and then go around setting the clocks in both control rooms, the studios and the newsroom.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day