CKNW early 70's bong

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CKNW early 70's bong

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 am

As requested by Top Dog, here's a few of the CKNW [bong,bong, bong, bong] jingles from the early 1970's.

CKNW Jingles
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Very cool jingles that likely pre-date me.

Sounds like a Pepper Tanner effort with some vocal similarities to 630 CHED's Centennial package.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW early 70's bong

Postby cart_machine » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

radiofan wrote:As requested by Top Dog, here's a few of the CKNW [bong,bong, bong, bong] jingles from the early 1970's.

R.F., the news logo was part of the same package, wasn't it? It seems to me that was changed and became all spacy about the same time these jingles came out.

I keep expecting to hear Earle Bradford when I listen to these.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:21 am

It has been pointed out to me I have not profusely thanked RF for the NW bongs

thank you
thanks
thanks very much
many thanks

this is radio N......W
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Centennial ID's

Postby arthurdent » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:29 am

These would be a later version of the Centennial series, which of course would have been out in '67/68. I was at the UBC Radio Society at the time and an alumnist dropped in with an aircheck from CHED featuring the same package. The 'four bong' signature was supposed to evoke Eddie Hayward's "Canadian Sunset"
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Re: Centennial ID's

Postby cart_machine » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:25 am

arthurdent wrote:These would be a later version of the Centennial series, which of course would have been out in '67/68. I was at the UBC Radio Society at the time and an alumnist dropped in with an aircheck from CHED featuring the same package. The 'four bong' signature was supposed to evoke Eddie Hayward's "Canadian Sunset"

<CleaverMode>
That's "alumnus." You kids today can't spell, unlike the broadcasters of yesteryear.....
</CleaverMode>

I never thought about Canadian Sunset until you mentioned it now.
What was the electronic chirping at the beginning supposed to evoke? Or maybe it's an electronic dog barking.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:03 pm

<CleaverMode>
That's "alumnus." You kids today can't spell, unlike the broadcasters of yesteryear.....
</CleaverMode>

Oh hell...never could spell anyway. That's why I did radio. I'm not sure about the electronic bits at the beginning...I'm pretty sure they were a mutation from the original series.
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:30 pm

arthurdent wrote: I'm not sure about the electronic bits at the beginning...I'm pretty sure they were a mutation from the original series.

I ran into one time CKNW Production Manager Dick Abbott at a record store in Coquitlam yesterday. I asked him about the "bongs" and he seemed to think they were an add on at the station by either himself or someone else.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day