Vancouver PPM Nov 30/09 - Feb 28/10

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Re: Vancouver PPM Nov 30/09 - Feb 28/10

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm

By way of pondering this suggestion that Rogers may take 1130 to Talk, a variation of this has been suggested before in other radio corpse.
One idea is to do the news wheel thing during prime time, ie: 5:30am to 10am and 3pm until 7pm, then do talk with hourly and half hourly news updates while continuing with traffic and weather around the clock.
That way, they could run talk show re-rolls during the overnight period while still keeping the timing.
The talk portions also can generate stories and clips for the news wheel segments with followup interviews.
680 News is doing very well in Toronto.
News 1130 shows slow but steady growth here.
Again, the problem for all news and/or talk radio is cost.
A bunch of people, even at ten bucks an hour, cost a lot more than a computer pumping out the same 300 tunes 24/7.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:08 pm

People here keep suggesting more talk radio, but no one has suggested who would host it. It failed miserably at 1410, and I think that it would probably cost more to get a top talk host, than keep the employees to do news 24 hours. Would need producers/researchers etc.
So again, who, in Mr. Cleaver's world, realistically would you have as a host (s). Please don't suggest Rafe Mair or simply shuffling people over from CKNW because they would have to be replaced as well.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote: do talk with hourly and half hourly news updates while continuing with traffic and weather around the clock.
That way, they could run talk show re-rolls during the overnight period while still keeping the timing.

How many talk show stars do you think would stop the flow of their show every ten minutes to have someone report on stalls and border crossings? Or even close to every ten minutes?

It means the re-roll overnight has to have six traffic breaks that are exactly the same length as ones during the daytime. And what do you do with breaking stories that interrupt the talk show during the day? Do you take a razor blade to it for the night run? (CJOR did not. Outdated "bulletins" would be on overnight and it sounded like amateur hour. CKO didn't have that problem. They simply never did bulletins while talk shows aired. You waited for news).

If a station is going to go the quasi-talk route, go live overnight. It worked for Herb Jepko. It worked for Art Bell. It works for Ray Taliaferro. There are lots of people up in those hours and want to gab to someone, as any ex all-night jock can tell you.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Jawbone: There's no one I'd hire to do talk that I hear in this market other then Jon McComb.
But that doesn't mean there aren't talented people out there.
Possibly, they are doing something else in broadcasting or on the net.

Cartie: As for breaks every ten minutes, every radio talk show locally does that now for commercials, traffic and weather.
And for re-rolls, a lot of talk stations in Canada which do that overnight.
Some do edit the shows (it's pretty easy to mark segments as you go along) and others don't.
I'm not saying that I would go with this format, just that it has been discussed before, many times, at many of the different corpse.
It was seen by some as the best way to do news/talk.
I am not aware of any station which has actually tried it on-air.
I personally still prefer the two stay separate, all news and all talk, with of course, the breaks for other information such as traffic, weather, business and yes, even sports.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Roger Pedacter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Mr. Cleaver writes: "There's no one I'd hire to do talk that I hear in this market other then Jon McComb."

Pretty sure that should read "other THAN Jon McComb", Mike.

Just pointing it out in a constructive criticism sort of way.....
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm

That 'click' you heard, was Cleaver pushing the 'Foe' button again. ;)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022