Vancouver PPM Oct 26/09 - Jan 24/10

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Vancouver PPM Oct 26/09 - Jan 24/10

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver PPM Oct 26/09 - Jan 24/10

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 am

Brilliant! The Mighty 1410 heading to the minus numbers. One more book and it could be worse than all traffic all the time! Quite the programming move.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 pm

The Shore finally got a 1 share!
And the Peak seems to be gaining listeners .2 share at a time.
Nice to see CFUN take a dive and the all traffic timewaster still at the bottom of the heap.
Could this be the next Corus heritage AM to go dark?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:32 pm

yeah Peak!

The thing i notice about the PPMs every couple months or whenever they come out... they have some wild swings. they need a bigger sample and some more time for the picture to be drawn on what is going up and what is coming down.

For the PPM world, I think Virgin is sounding the best and coming from me, that is praise as I personally think "virgin" is sucky town. But they have their audience and they are delivering the goods. Great imaging and transitions between songs. Too bad the songs aren't my style :P i listen to them for the breaks... nerd I am !
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Give us a break with the All persons 2+, it borders on meaningless for most advertisers. They want the proper demo breakdowns.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm sure they'll be along any minute now.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Wow.

The Peak must be breaking out a six pak of Cott. Make sure everybody chips in, Gerry!

If they fire the staff - maybe they can get a five like "all drivel, all the time" over at Murray Brookshaw Manor.

:sign7:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 am

Two FM stations wasted on a niche format. Combined they'd manage a 2.6 still leaving them near the bottom of the heap. Rogers doesn't seem to be getting any traction no matter what the do at 104.9 and no wonder, the radio station is an absolute piece of sh*it. Bad jingles, bad liners, bad music, bad announcers. I think it's just a matter of time before 730 goes dark and 1410 will not be far behind.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:05 am

tuned wrote:Two FM stations wasted on a niche format. Combined they'd manage a 2.6 still leaving them near the bottom of the heap. Rogers doesn't seem to be getting any traction no matter what the do at 104.9 and no wonder, the radio station is an absolute piece of sh*it. Bad jingles, bad liners, bad music, bad announcers. I think it's just a matter of time before 730 goes dark and 1410 will not be far behind.

I agree with you about The Peak and The Shore... completely a niche format, althought I think it would be possible to get ratings with a station that had a Triple A flavour, you would have to play some hit songs, which neither of these stations seem to want to do. As for 104.9 .... I agree that it's a crappy sounding radio station, but at a 5.1 that is actually the most tractions that Rogers has ever been able to get with that frequency. Neither XFM or Clear FM were able to get out of the 3's and often times were in the 2's. I think it's more of a statement about the viability of oldies on FM, as opposed to them doing a good job with it, in fact looking at the other markets, they should b e an 8 or a 9 share. Capital FM in Edmonton is an 8.7 and XL in Calgary is a 9.3.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:10 am

tuned wrote: Rogers doesn't seem to be getting any traction no matter what the do at 104.9 and no wonder, the radio station is an absolute piece of sh*it. Bad jingles, bad liners, bad music, bad announcers.

A little back-checking is a good thing tuned. A year and a half ago 104.9 was at 3.4 share.... now around 5, with very little promotion.... something that Rogers is famous for.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am

Great news that Rogers is doing better with 104.9, they really deserve a break.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am

tuned wrote:Great news that Rogers is doing better with 104.9, they really deserve a break.

Not bad! ;)
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 pm

104.9 is a disgrace.

It is NOT a radio station.

A radio station = people. News. Writers, Traffic humans, and REAL people, instead of a voice track that was canned on Tuesday.

The Morning guy is a nice fellow, and no one gives a damn because they have never heard of the guy and it takes so long to adopt a morning man.

Five share in a market when times were fat and sassy would be sweet - but now baby, times are ugly for sales and even the guys like CKNW are selling, but with a very sharp pencil.

Radio is irrelevant to so many people. It shocked me after I got out of the business for a decade. NO ONE knew what station they listened to ..."Oh, the traffic one..." - we have become NOISE>
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:42 pm

hagopian wrote:104.9 is a disgrace.

It is NOT a radio station.

A radio station = people. News. Writers, Traffic humans, and REAL people, instead of a voice track that was canned on Tuesday.

The Morning guy is a nice fellow, and no one gives a damn because they have never heard of the guy and it takes so long to adopt a morning man.

Five share in a market when times were fat and sassy would be sweet - but now baby, times are ugly for sales and even the guys like CKNW are selling, but with a very sharp pencil.

Radio is irrelevant to so many people. It shocked me after I got out of the business for a decade. NO ONE knew what station they listened to ..."Oh, the traffic one..." - we have become NOISE>

Wow! You sound just like a guy who used to be on here and was always ripping Rogers, while failing to acknowledge that the exact same thing was happening at every other FM station in town. He must've been fired from there at one point.
You say its 'not a radio station'. I beg to differ. I'm pretty sure it is. Maybe not the kind you remember from 'the good old days', but one that's part of the new reality of broadcasting.
Please, name one FM that doesn't use voice-tracking, canned news (if any at all and if you can actually call it news as opposed to headlines), their own traffic person or paid programming. I can't.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Marathon wrote: I think it's more of a statement about the viability of oldies on FM, as opposed to them doing a good job with it, in fact looking at the other markets, they should b e an 8 or a 9 share. Capital FM in Edmonton is an 8.7 and XL in Calgary is a 9.3.

I think that is the story. Its the best Rogers has been able to do with 104.9, so that is good. But oldies on FM should be able to crush, so still lots of room for improvement.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022