50 Years of Information Radio

Radio News from Manitoba

50 Years of Information Radio

Postby Shawndx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:28 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.5455947

Click on the link above for a great article on the 50th anniversary of Information Radio on CBW 990 Winnipeg. The pictures with the article are excellent and will take you back to when CBW tried a whole new concept in morning radio that is common place today
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: 50 Years of Information Radio

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Interesting story and within the story, a 10 minute video of 1982 Winnipeg Radio Wars including a very young Bro Jake at CITI FM and a not so young Red Alix at CJOB.

Thanks for posting this Shawn!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: 50 Years of Information Radio

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:24 am

Red Alix’s style and schtick seems pretty dated now, and probably was by 1982 as well (“beefs and bouquets”).
The true irony is that what Jake was doing then and continued with successfully through the years and through other markets would today be considered passe’. The Champ was funny and endured for a long time; but now, in 2020?
Of course, then as now, the audience is still “music to weld shit by” so I could well by wrong.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba