22 MONTH LONG BROADCAST STRIKE CALLED OFF IN SAINT JOHN

Radio News from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland

22 MONTH LONG BROADCAST STRIKE CALLED OFF IN SAINT JOHN

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri May 09, 2014 3:22 pm

MBS STRIKE IS OVER BUT WORK STOPPAGE CONTINUES AS A LOCKOUT!
(Saint John, NB) The Canadian Media Guild has called an end to its 22 month strike by 7 unionized radio employees at Matimine Broadcasting Sysytem in Saint John, New Brunswick effective Monday May 12.

The employer MBS has however now informed the Guild that it will be LOCKING OUT the employees and not letting them return to work without a collective agreement.

...The Guild has filed a complaint with the Canadian Industrial Relations Board alleging that MBS has been bargaining in bad faith and is trying to break the union. The Labour Board will be hearing the Guild's complaint beginning on June 3. The Guild is asking the Labour Board to order MBS to bargain as required by law and to go if necessary to binding arbitration.

Federal Mediation and Conciliation Services has meanwhile scheduled a meeting with the parties on Friday May 16 to try to bring about a settlement.

“Our goal remains what it has been since the start: a fair and reasonable collective agreement. That is what we will be seeking on May 16," said Gary Stackhouse, one of the seven strikers and president of the Private Radio Branch of the Guild.

ALMOST TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: 22 MONTH LONG BROADCAST STRIKE CALLED OFF IN SAINT JOHN

Postby 45 RPM » Fri May 09, 2014 7:48 pm

How long will it take to make up 22 months of pay?

These folks would be better off as Wal Mart greeters.

Out of the seven, if there was any major market talent, it would have moved on long ago.

Get the freakin' unions out of a talent based industry.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat May 10, 2014 8:09 am

Sadly, I must disagree with the premise forwarded by 45rpm. Commercial radio is no longer a "talent-based" industry. Rather, it is a closed, union-free, corporately-controlled exploiter of talent - that which still remains.
Besides, most of the "talent" has been blown out long ago, and replacements are not being sought.
My own, consistent comment has been one of: "I will consider going back on the air when doing so constitutes 'meaningful work' - for a grownup."
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 pm

This whole story is just plain disturbing.

I also notice that things are REALLY quiet on the media front.

Does that mean a sea change, is 'in the wind'?

It shall be interesting to see if the big kickers make their numbers this quarter; my bet is that many won't - and more folks, in the trenches, will get the hoof.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Atlantic Canada