Another Case for Synchronized CBC FM Repeaters

Radio News from Ontario

Another Case for Synchronized CBC FM Repeaters

Postby jon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Monday marks the official launch of G98.7 in Toronto.

Buried in the Toronto Star article is this tidbit:
CBC, which tried to block G’s application declaring concerns about the signal interfering with their Peterborough frequency, is now wreaking havoc on the station’s signal in Scarborough, Pickering, and Oshawa. Gordon plans to ask the public broadcaster to limit the Peterborough channel — a duplicate of 99.1 FM — in the GTA.

Lets get this straight: CBC was worried that a 20KW FM in Toronto would reduce the coverage of its 19KW FM on the same frequency in Peterborough. But the reverse is happening: the CBC repeater is causing havoc with G98.7 in some of its prime coverage area.

If the CBC ran a synchronized repeater in Peterborough on 99.1 (CBLA-FM Toronto), problem would be solved.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone thought this would work. But I'm also very surprised at a 20KW station (G98.7) in the same City being allocated a frequency only 0.4 MHz away from a 100KW station (CBLA-FM on 99.1).
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Another Case for Synchronized CBC FM Repeaters

Postby andysradio » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:05 am

Many years back the CBC was asked if it would give up its superior 93.5 frequency in Peterborough to accommodate a new FM in Toronto.
CBC moved to 98.7 here. They do not get out as well now as they did on their old frequency. For instance, north of Peterborough, the station gets a lot of interference from CBC Owen Sound.
CBC made their sacrifice. This is a Toronto problem.

The problem with a synchronous repeater is that it works fine in its target area but not on the outskirts because of timing issues.
And I also listen to 99.1 [Metro Morning] as well as 98.7

From Peterborough......
andysradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 pm

While on the topic of synchronous repeaters, can anyone in the Golden Horseshoe area tell me if CKEY-1 101.1 St. Catharines is still on the air. This is/was a synchronous repeater with 2,784 watts for CKEY 101.1 in Fort Erie.

The I/C database lists the station as "operational", but I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that it was shut down several years ago. No one from the SOWNY board responded to my query on the topic awhile back.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Well here in Saskatoon-the city CBC has forgotten-the Radio One FM signal is so scattershot, I literally have to stay still in front of my receiver if I don't want to interfere with the signal. This receiver is excellent and picks up all kinds of great signals, just not a locally generated FM one from CBC One. In fact the truly local FM Christian radio station (I'm not sure of it's power but it's really low)has a better pattern and it's not a station I usually listen to. We won't even discuss the local CBC tv station but I think stations in Lower Buttocks, Arkansas have a bigger staff! :lol:
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:26 pm

The CBC Radio One Nested Repeaters are only intended to serve the downtown core of each city, where skyscrapers make reception of AM almost impossible. How is CBK-540 reception at your location?

As I mentioned elsewhere, CBC Edmonton has been getting complaints from listeners that they can't hear the nested FM repeaters in some parts of the City near City Limits, and even from listeners in bedroom communities like Stony Plain and Leduc. Suggesting they listen to 740 or 680, depending on the language of the conversation, more often than not gets a "what's AM?" kind of response.

Of course, the complaints will really get worse once Edmonton's nested repeaters finally get positioned on top of a downtown office building instead of the huge CBC tower in Sherwood Park. Last I heard, the dispute about fixing the electrical system in the office building had yet to be settled. No one wants to pay for it. But no one wants to have the elevators cut out whenever the transmitters are turned on either.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:00 pm

The CBC AM signal throughout the province and indeed, a lot of the northern US plains states is very strong so hearing 540 in Saskatoon or anywhere else is great.Thanks for the info about the repeater business on FM in the cities and that begins to explain the weak signal in the burbs where I live.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby erratics » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 pm

If G98.7 is having such issues with CBC 1 out of Peterborough, they should join the list of applicants vying for the better frequency of 88.1 with the CRTC. I guess the FM frequencies available in Toronto are very few and far between these days.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby andysradio » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 pm

They only have a few weeks left to get the application in
andysradio
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario