Radio News from Manitoba

99bobfm rebrands to 999 Bounce FM

Postby yoshi » Tue May 18, 2021 7:09 am

And retains the Onair staff of Beau Mandy Caroline and Kris
yoshi
Advanced Member

Re: 99bobfm rebrands to 999 Bounce FM

Postby cammy85 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 am

Nice!! I'm in the Brandon area, so I can confirm that 96.1 has made the same changes. On an unrelated note, both were playing pretty much the same songs at almost the same times and in the same order since 6:00 last night. Just that each station has different rules for commercials (99.9 has two smaller Bobathons per hour and 96.1 has one bigger and a shorter set). I'm noticing different versions of songs BOB played ex. a different version of Barenaked Ladies' Brian Wilson and the album version of "Make Me Do Anything You Want" by A Foot In Cold Water. Otherwise, everything is the same, just a different name.
cammy85

Postby Shawndx » Tue May 18, 2021 8:23 am

YES THEY CHANGED UP TODAY
Now Bounce 99.9 FM
Just about the same music hits from 80's 90's 00's
RDS readout is Bounce 99.9FM
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby Prod Guy » Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm

I believe this finally closes the door on the whole "We play what we want" and "80's, 90's, Whatever" branding in Canada. I never thought sounding like you don't give a crap what the listeners want made much sense. I'm also tired of hearing the same overplayed 700 songs that I've been hearing for the last 40 years, but I'm obviously in the minority. I think Boom in Toronto is the only station that manages to sound fresh while doing that format but we'll see if Bell can duplicate it. Part of Boom's secret is flooding weekend mornings with several hours of non-stop Cancon.
Also, I predict that KLite will return to Hamilton in less than three years after a ratings drop.
Prod Guy

Postby paterson » Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 am

Boom only seems to really load the cancon on Sunday mornings from about 6-8am. Through the week, when it really matters they don't do that much early morning or even 10-12 midnight. This morning 6-9am- 11 out of 25 songs were cancon, and they were spaced out evenly. Even 10-12midnight on Sunday 8 out of 22 songs were cancon and more or less spaced out evenly. Sunday mornings however they do go very heavy cancon 6-8am but Sunday's don't really impact ratings much anyway.

I think Boom's success is consistency, good on air talent with personality, and good variety of music. And a popular feature every year on Boom is their Top 100 Canadian Songs on Canada Day which is run mid day. So I am not really sure whatever stacking of cancon Boom does has much to do if any with their ratings success in Toronto.

Q107 which is also all gold but a little more rock oriented is also doing very well in the ratings, and again Q does little stacking if any of cancon. This morning 8 cancon out of 22 songs 6-9am spaced out evenly and last night 9 cancon out of 24 songs 10-12midnight and not stacked at all.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed May 19, 2021 4:07 pm

The weekend morning Cancon flooding only helps the weekend and evening playlists, as weekdays 6am-6pm are monitored separately and must stay at the station's mandated Cancon level. But yes, any movement of less liked songs to less listened to timeslots will help at least a little.

As for Hamilton -- as a heritage station with an older audience and morning show to match, this format may actually give them a bit of a bump. Classic/Adult hits always launches high and impacts AC stations. It might actually be a welcome change for the majority of the station's cume.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Prod Guy » Thu May 20, 2021 9:16 pm

If I could quote something you wrote elsewhere:
Local stations are #2, 3 and 4 in Hamilton, but Boom is #1, by quite a bit.
Boom 10.9
K-Lite 7.9
KX 7.0
Y108 6.4
Edge 5.0
Energy 5.0
The first Toronto AC/Hot AC is CHFI at 3.3

I predict that Boom listeners will stay with Boom because they love it, and a good 2 share of K-Lite listeners will move to CHFI for their music and a 1 share will move to Energy because it's local and close enough music-wise. Then you have:
Boom 10.9
KX 7.0
Y108 6.4
Energy 6.0
CHFI 5.3
Edge 5.0
K-Lite/Bounce 4.9
Then this looks like a really dumb move. Time will tell, but I don't think blowing up the number one local station is a smart decision.
Prod Guy

Return to Manitoba