Now we know why Councillor TD glows in the dark

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Now we know why Councillor TD glows in the dark

Postby kat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Uranium levels shut two wells for water

New health standard has town eyeing alternatives

By John Colebourn, The Province January 14, 2009

New water standards by Health Canada has resulted in two wells in Oliver being shut down due to high uranium levels and the town scrambling to meet water demands.

Oliver Mayor Pat Hampson yesterday said modifications to Health Canada's water standards resulted in them shutting down two of the town's wells last fall.

Two wells are still in operation and there is no concern yet about water shortages in the area. Hampson said things could change in the summer when the demand for water is much higher.

"It was a precautionary measure," said Hampson of the wells being closed. "No one has been sick." Health Canada revised drinking water guidelines in May of last year, lowering the safety threshold for uranium content by 80 per cent.

The area's wineries are not affected by the decision to shut down the wells that had the unacceptable but naturally occurring uranium levels. The wineries draw water from an irrigation ditch that comes from the Okanagan River.

Hampson said town council will focus on developing more wells and increasing capacity on the existing ones, at a cost of $493,000. He said they plan on asking the provincial government through a grant to fund 80 per cent of the cost of the water improvements.

"Then we would be able to meet our summer demand," he said.

jcolebourn@the province.com

© Copyright (c) The Province
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Well....TopDog is very ...radiant.

:shock:
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I had no idea that TD was into heavy metal! Don't play that "head-banger' music too loud TD or your ears will bleed! :lol:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Forget water quality. Who's got the mineral rights to the Uranium deposits?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 pm

John Colebourn (Vancouver Province)

I have been sent a copy of your January 14th article and don't know if this is the way you wrote it or it was edited
by an inexperienced editor.

Fact: Health Canada waters standards have changed
Fact: The quality of the water is the same
Fact: The town is not scambling ( eggs or water )
Fact: The town has many wells. Two operate in the winter
Fact: Oliver runs one of the largest water systems in the province - bigger than Kamloops in total gallons pumped and distributed
Fact: Most agricultural water is from the Okanagan River fueling irrigation ditches
Fact: The quality of wine is not determined by the water that irrigates vineyards
Fact: Not all wineries get their water from a ditch
Fact: One of the cheapest forms of purifying water is 'blending' well water where water from one wells dilutes the
content of trace minerals in another to a level acceptable to IHA (government)
Fact: Oliver won the BC Green City Award in 2007 for environmental best practices
Fact: Oliver is twinning domestic water so that clean water is supplied to rural homes as a result of many millions of dollars in grants from the BC Government
Fact: Oliver is one of the Smart Growth communities of BC
Fact: Oliver is the Wine Capital of Canada
Fact: The legislature's 'Speaker' has been drinking Oliver water all his life and shows no signs of degradation
Fact: New federal standards will cost municipalities millions of dollars in capital projects to upgrade
Fact: The event happen last fall. The results of testing displayed/discussed in a public meeting. Joe Fries published a story on it in Penticton last week.
Fact: There is nothing really new in this story and it must be an extremely slow news day in Vancouver with not enough drive by shootings

Jack Bennest
Councillor
Town of Oliver
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 am

Top Dog wrote:John Colebourn (Vancouver Province)
I have been sent a copy of your January 14th article and don't know if this is the way you wrote it or it was edited by an inexperienced editor.

Really, now. I would have thought an item-by-item rebuttal would have been in order if the story was incorrect, rather than some sunny-side-up spin.

Top Dog wrote: There is nothing really new in this story

So it's not inaccurate. It's just old.

it must be an extremely slow news day in Vancouver with not enough drive by shootings

Since you may have forgotten this from your days in the media, it should be mentioned sarcasm by politicians may not be the most effective tool to convince someone of their message.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 am

I am on a rant

You should try it once in a while Jimbo

The news business which I think I know well absolutely stinks

1. mostly in radio - no staffing in 98% stations
2. CKWX of course is the best this side of CHED
3. Newspapers rarely do fine journalism - obvious exceptions Kim Bolan
4. TV - if she bleeds it leads - here is John Daly with the latest from our newsroom - no film, no facts, 'I am first Tony' (McCardell has the best news about wandering ducks etc)

You can take pot shots at me - I have broad shoulders and a broad gut
and you have no broads. lol

Back to the Oliver story - there is no story. The reporter had five days to find something new - but just copied the Penticton Herald story and put his name on it. Sad - so sad for the days of Jack Brooks, Wasserman
Neale, Foth

If we have kiddy fashion from hollywood and silly teen news on radio that is what news seems to be reflecting - nothing much of substance.

Now back to our regular programming...........

Kat - thanks for the item - it was good to get rid of all that pent up venom
for canwest newspapers
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste