Never Heard a Live Announcer

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Never Heard a Live Announcer

Postby jon » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:14 pm

This just appeared on reelradio.com's General Comments. It speaks volumes about young people's concepts of Radio, because they have no history. Excuse the typos -- they were in the orignal:

Very Interesting...Today I was listening to the " Kim Komando On Computers " radio talk show. She read an email from a listener who was perplexed by the fact that she could not identify the titles or artists of songs she heard on the radio so as to purchase them from an online music download service. Kim gave her several ideas including a device that apparently has a database installed, and by putting it up to the speaker of the radio it will identify the song and artist for you. I'm not kidding!

I have heard about, and wonder if anybody else has heard,. that in the mid to late 1900's radio stations had a person on the air who.. er whom?...used to speak " live " on the air to those with radio sets. These were radio stations that played music and aired news along with other information and entertainment geared to the local community that they served. These fellows on the air were known as announcers in the early days of radio, and later, on music stations, were sometimes refered to as Disk Jokeys. I have heard that many of these announcers were very talented. Funny, Informative, Friendly, interested in what was going on in thier city or town, and sometimes would even tell thier listeners the names of the songs and artists they were playing on the air.

I can't confirm that any of this is true but I have heard these stories. Have any of you heard simular tales?

The good news is that thanks to technology we can go through our entire lives and almost never have to deal with other humans in person, or on the radio..... And by the way I recently read a story about a website that is supposed to have a few of these programs that feature those announcers who talk to thier listeners. I hope someday to have the opportunity to visit and see what that kind of radio was all about, now that it is gone. I think it's called ReelRadio or something like that. Wish Me Luck Mike
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Axeadentally » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Communist propoganda. Has never happened and never will. HUMANS talking on the radio???
Name one good reason that would happen!!
Just ONE!!!
Axeadentally

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste