Larry LeBlanc

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Larry LeBlanc

Postby OpenMike » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:25 am

This is an old feature that came to my attention this morning

if any of you want to be on board with Larry's email newsletter
give him a shout at LJLE@aol.com

Rockin' the Blues from Canada

LARRY LEBLANC STEPS DOWN FROM BILLBOARD

TORONTO: Canadian bureau chief of Billboard, the U.S.-based music trade he has been associated with since 1991, Larry LeBlanc is stepping down from the publication effective immediately. He is being replaced by Toronto-based journalist Robert Thompson who writes the “Going for the Green” golf blog, which comments on golf issues.

“Obviously, one doesn’t relish being replaced but those who know me know I’ve talked of leaving Billboard for years”, says LeBlanc. “I’m proud of my coverage of Canada for the publication. I certainly feel I’ve helped bringCanadian music to global markets.

“Seventeen years is a very good run", adds LeBlanc. "But I’ve had a successful freelance career dating back to 1965. If anything, I am probably busier today than I have ever been as a writer.”

During his tenure at Billboard, LeBlanc interviewed hundreds of Canadian artists and songwriters, including pivotal coverage of such acts as Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne, Barenaked Ladies, Alanis Morissette, Sarah Harmer, Broken Social Scene, K-os, Diana Krall, Jane Bunnett, Luc Plamandon, Holly Cole, and many others. As well, he wrote ground-breaking articles spotlighting Quebec, Atlantic Canada music scenes, blues, folk, and independent music. As well, he wrote extensively on copyright, music retail, distribution, and technology issues. LeBlanc has been a leading figure in Canadian music for four decades. He has been extensively quoted on music issues in hundreds of publications, including Time and The New York Times.

Legendary BBC-2 DJ/historian Bob Harris described him in Maverick magazine in 2006 as "the glue that holds the Canadian music industry together." He was Canadian editor of the late U.S.- based music trade Record World from 1970-1980 and also the co-founder of the late Canadian music trade The Record.

In recent years, LeBlanc has acted as a consultant for the Canadian Competition Bureau, the Canadian Private Copying Collective, the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, CHUM Ltd., FACTOR, and the Neighbouring Rights Collective of Canada.

LeBlanc was the associate producer of the 1996 four-CD box set, “Oh What A Feeling” and co-executive producer of its follow-up, “Oh What A Feeling 2”, in 2001. The two comprehensive retrospectives of Canadian music raised $4.8 million for Canadian charities.
Geo Custer - "There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the 7th Cavalry"
OpenMike
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste