Oldest radio Stations (Wikipedia)

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Oldest radio Stations (Wikipedia)

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 am

This is for Dan. The link below won't help you keep your list of Canadian radio stations current, but I saw this on "Wikipedia" and thought you and others might find the information interesting. As my teeth are not long enough, I can't vouch for the lists accuracy.

This quote from the website"

"List of oldest radio stations -
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"
"The title of oldest radio station is disputed by several in Europe (UK and Germany), and in the United States and Canada."
"Several potential contenders for the title of "oldest radio station" are listed below, organized by sign-on date:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... o_stations
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Oldest radio Stations (Wikipedia)

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 am

What abut VOCM?

VOCM (Voice of the Common Man) in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada first went on the air on October 19,1936.

2012 marks 76 years of broadcasting for VOCM!

VOCM and its sister station VOCM-FM are among just four radio stations in Canada having call signs beginning with the prefix "VO," the ITU prefix issued to the Dominion of Newfoundland before its confederation into Canada in 1949.

(VOCM predates confederation…. signing on before 1949, while Newfoundland was still a dominion, and were allowed to keep the VO call signs despite the end of Newfoundland's sovereignty).

GREAT RADIO STATION!
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:05 am

Tape Splicer wrote:This is for Dan. The link below won't help you keep your list of Canadian radio stations current, but I saw this on "Wikipedia" and thought you and others might find the information interesting. As my teeth are not long enough, I can't vouch for the lists accuracy.

This quote from the website"

"List of oldest radio stations -
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"
"The title of oldest radio station is disputed by several in Europe (UK and Germany), and in the United States and Canada."
"Several potential contenders for the title of "oldest radio station" are listed below, organized by sign-on date:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... o_stations

What about CJCB here in Sydney Nova Scotia on the air since Feb 14 1929 and also CHNS which I think started in 1926,not on AM anymore although both stations are owned by MBS? I`m sure that Wikipedia list is incomplete.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:49 am

I agree - The list is not exhaustive ... There is a statement in the article indicating that the list is not complete. So how does one add to this "wikipedia" article?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 am

Here is the statement on the page ... " This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it." By clicking on "expand" a new page opens where "editing" can be done. (I'll leave it to someone with better eyesight to do the "expanding".
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 am

Tape Splicer wrote:Here is the statement on the page ... " This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it." By clicking on "expand" a new page opens where "editing" can be done. (I'll leave it to someone with better eyesight to do the "expanding".

Having been a party to this discussion of "first radio stations" since the mid-1960s, the one thing I have learned is that the "correct" answer seems to be harder, not easier, to determine as the years pass. As a little Googling will tell you, Westinghouse tried to make the answer simple by a lot of "semantic arguments" that would make a lawyer proud. The answer always came out KDKA in Pittsburgh which, of course, is what Westinghouse PR staff were paid to do.

I threw my hands up in the air and gave up on coming up with a definitive answer in my lifetime after the 2006 100th anniversary celebrations for Reginald Fessenden's first radio broadcast (or was it? see the link). If you follow the two links in last month's Today in Broadcast History, you can see the difficulty of determining just this one claim, let alone the hundreds of radio broadcasters over the next 16 years -- 1922 was when stations were fully licensed in Canada and we can find ample documentation on stations like CJCA in Edmonton.
http://rwcrn.com/broadcast-history-sunday-july-22 (first paragraph, especially the two links)

On a personal note, I should note that, in 2006, I completely accepted the "it didn't happen" arguments of the second link. But rebuttals have since been published that make me realize just how difficult this one incident is to verify or discredit, and I now admit, in my mind that the whole thing is close to 50/50 as to whether it is true.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm sure WWJ-AM Detroit's positioner as "Radio One" was meant as a dig to Westinghouse.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste