Lisa LaFlamme out at CTV News

News from the world of Television

Lisa LaFlamme out at CTV News

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Lisa LaFlamme out at CTV News as Omar Sachedina named chief news anchor

TORONTO — Veteran journalist Lisa LaFlamme defied the odds as a silver-haired female anchor on the country's most-watched national newscast, but observers say her time at CTV came to an unceremonious end Monday as the network announced her departure and replacement.

Without an official sign-off, leadership at Bell Media issued a press release on Monday saying that LaFlamme was out at CTV National News as part of a decision based on "changing viewer habits."

What CTV didn't explain is how it intends to evolve the broadcast with her newly announced replacement, Omar Sachedina, currently the CTV News national affairs correspondent, who assumes the role on Sept. 5.

Representatives declined to comment aside from saying, "We wish Lisa nothing but the best as she begins a new chapter."

The lack of strategic clarity has only drawn more attention to LaFlamme saying she was "blindsided" by the company's decision to end her contract. It's also raised questions of whether she is another woman on the list of countless who've faced sexism and ageism in the broadcast news industry.

"This was a quick hit — and it was a hit," said Jeffrey Dvorkin, former head of the University of Toronto's journalism program.

"It makes the company look bad in the short-term, but in the long-term, they may come out of this looking better, like they're all geniuses and have made the right decision."

In the meantime, CTV faces questions about the intention behind sending their top news anchor packing. LaFlamme posted a video on social media saying she remains "shocked and saddened by Bell Media's decision," which cuts her ties to CTV after 35 years.

She said she was informed of their plans on June 29 but kept them under wraps as they worked out the specifics of her departure.

"At 58, I still thought I'd have a lot more time to tell more of the stories that impact our daily lives," she said in the video.

"Instead, I leave CTV humbled by the people who put their faith in me to tell their story."

LaFlamme's exit was met with an immediate reaction on social media from friends, viewers and colleagues.

Ian Hanomansing, one of the anchors at CBC's competing nightly news broadcast "The National," said he was "at a loss for words."

"Lisa is among the very best at what she does. I know surprisingly arbitrary decisions can be made in this business but Lisa, you deserve better than this. Way better," he posted on Twitter.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... 8e33f7ef59
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Lisa LaFlamme out at CTV News

Postby Peteradio » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Sarcasm alert:
I'M SHOCKED... SHOCKED I TELL YOU!
Peteradio
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:19 pm

Peteradio wrote:Sarcasm alert:
I'M SHOCKED... SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

Few are shocked as you, Peteradio, when you consider that the VP of BCE is an anti-female, asshole, bean-counter and certainly not a newsperson or someone who really cares about journalism. What is shocking is that NO news veteran in this country, as high in stature as Lisa Laflamme, ever got treated so badly. I don't recall anyone else, with the exception of Don Cherry, who wasn't really a journalist, either ?

I think that older, "graying" women in television are routinely discriminated against in the business and essentially, they are not allowed to age.

We won't be seeing the last of Lisa Laflamme, the journalist, either. She's just too good to stay on the sidelines.

So, do apply at Bell Media at your own risk, especially if you are an older person. You already knew about Bell, why was it a surprise?

Overall, a bad move for Bell, not allowing Laflamme to say goodbye to the audience. People are fucking pissed off about that ! A PR disaster, letting go Laflamme and introducing Omar Sachedina on the same day.
Last edited by the-real-deal on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:21 pm

What's a CTV News?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Peteradio » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 pm

Hey real deal... you do understand what sarcasm means?
Peteradio
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Peteradio wrote:Hey real deal... you do understand what sarcasm means?

Pistol Pete: There is always a thin line, a connection, between sarcism (joking?) and reality. Hopefully, your current employer does not treat you like how Ms. Laflamme was treated? As far as Bell Media saying they offered Lisa Laflamme a chance to say goodbye on air, but she refused. I will wait to hear what Laflamme has to say about that, as there is always two sides to every story.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Peteradio » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:36 pm

One more for real deal dude...
I am blessed to be retired. Also blessed to have never been treated like dirt, likely because I reciprocated that.
And you know what? A friend used to call me Pistol Pete, but it was from throwing a football. My friend got his sports mixed up!
Peteradio
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen