The Bounce Looking for PD & MD

Radio news from Alberta

The Bounce Looking for PD & MD

Postby jon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Andy Winford arrived at The Bounce in Edmonton last May as the new Program Director, fresh from Fresno, though he lived in Edmonton for a few years as a child.

Less than a year later, Andy is gone. And Rogers is advertising for two separate positions at The Bounce: a Program Director and off-air Music Director.

Here is the original thread about Andy's hiring:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7666
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The Bounce Looking for PD & MD

Postby pave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am

I agree that, certainly, somebody MAPL is at liberty who could program a Canadian station - CanCon, CRTC-smoke et al.

But, I gotta feel for anyone who is brought into a station, glad-handed, smooched, patted on the ass and then told "Here's a bag o' shit. Now, make 5 bags of Shinola - or else!" Is there a little BDSM-action in here somewhere?

Meanwhile, I note that all the corporates state in their ads that they want a P.D. who will not only turn water into a case of Molson, but who will also "teach" the on-air staff. My question: Teach what... specifically?
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 am

The published job description, on the other hand, has this as its most difficult challenge:
"to accomplish the sound of the station in accordance with the station format".

Oh, I just checked, this one is listed on Taleo, so I can quote it here:
Description
* Coordinating with music, production, news and promotions departments to accomplish the sound of the station in accordance with the station format.
* Directly responsible for announcers and their on-air presentation, coaching and development; as well as the production and music departments.
* Work in conjunction with the Promotions Director and Sales Department with respect to promotions, contests and advertising.
* Manage budgets for the programming department.
* Air-checking talent.
* Day to day scheduling of on-air talent and managing vacation.
* Ensure station complies with CRTC regulations.
Qualifications
* Minimum of 5 years experience in programming management or comparable experience.
* Knowledge of CRTC content regulations.
* Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented, as well as ability to multitask.
* Highly proficient in using the Music Master scheduling system and familiarity with Scott Studios preferred.
* Required computer skills include Outlook, Excel and Word.
* Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
* Internet / Web experience would be an asset.
* Experience on-air would be an asset.

ref. - http://rogers.taleo.net/careersection/2 ... &job=24087

Music Director - http://rogers.taleo.net/careersection/2 ... &job=24088
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:17 pm

That's right, jon - the only items missing are: a.) fluent in 5 languages and, b.) having already had a satisfying, but submissive, personal relationship with the recruiter.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm

I think I found the answer: Rogers has standard job descriptions.

Compare the following (Bounce v.s. Boiler Plate):
http://www.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Car ... _md_en.pdf
http://rogers.taleo.net/careersection/2 ... &job=24088
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for those links, jon. Yup. Same crap - different logo.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hot4vegas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:24 am

It’s funny because after all this time I’m just now seeing these posts. It was definitely a challenging time in my career. Finding out 5 weeks in the station was selling was quite a gut punch. I have to say though, considering all the uncertainty the on-air team of Ian Slipp, Robbie Gibson, Joelle St. Clair, Jake Ryan and Adam Milne had a work ethic second to none. They handled themselves professionally, joyfully and brought entertaining content each and every day. I was as proud of that team as any I’ve ever worked with!

For what it’s worth I spent more than just a few years in Edmonton “as a child”. I moved there when I was 9, graduated from M.E. LaZerte and worked in Edmonton until I was 21. After broadcasting school in Los Angeles I moved back at age 23 but had little luck getting started in radio at the time so I came back to Southern California (let the sympathy begin, lol) to get my start in the business. I never wanted to leave Edmonton. I love it there. I bleed orange and blue and green and gold. I worked in Commonwealth Stadium as a teenager. I consider myself as much Canadian as I do American.

I wish you all well!
hot4vegas

Return to Alberta