Ed Mason's 35th Anniversary at CHQT

Radio news from Alberta

Ed Mason's 35th Anniversary at CHQT

Postby jon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 pm

It was February 3, 1975, when Ed Mason first cracked open the mic. switch at CHQT Edmonton, attracted away from CHUM Toronto by CHQT co-founder and Station Manager Lew Roskin, to do Morning News for the legendary Bob Bradburn.

The date -- Ed's 35th Anniversary -- did not go unnoticed this morning on CHED. Here is Gord Whitehead paying tribute to Ed:
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Ed Mason's 35th Anniversary at CHQT

Postby jon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 pm

And there was a full length Tribute to Ed in the half hour Noon News:

click here to hear.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Congratulations to a very old and dear friend on his 35 years at CHQT.
Ed and I first met at CHUM, and later, at every RTNDA National Convention for several decades.
Aside from being a superb newsman, Ed can be funnier than hell.
I'm sure he remembers the many "boat cruises" at those conventions with Jim McLean from CKEY and Brian Thomas and myself from CHUM.
Most of the other members were pretty staid and businesslike fellows but Ed really liked to have fun.
Hope you're having a great day, Ed!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Ed Mason celebrates 35-year anniversary
2pm 2/3/2010
Brent Pushkarenko 630ched.com

It was 35 years ago Wednesday, one of the most iconic voices of local radio made his Edmonton debut.

That's when 630 CHED morning news anchor Ed Mason hit the airwaves on CHQT AM880 -- what would later become CHED's sister station, iNews880.

"That's 1975 -- that seems like a life-time ago," says Mason with a chuckle, while being interviewed by a staff member who wasn't born until 1985.

When Mason rolled in to town in his gas-guzzling Buick, it was -40 C with an ice fog.

"I honestly thought, 'What am I doing here,'" he says. "Then, over the next little well, I fell in love with Edmonton -- the neighbours around the city, watched the city grow, watched Baseline Road get paved and then widened. Hey, it's been quite the ride."

In his time in broadcasting, Mason has scaled the Great Pyramid, dove in a nuclear sub, and been around the world. But, he says the most memorable story during his time in Edmonton happened close to home -- when he attended the memorial service, killed by a gunman near Mayerthorpe in 2005.

"When the Mounties began parading in, and if you know Mounties when they wear their dress uniform they wear the long, tall brown boots, I could hear the 'thud, thud, thud' of these boots coming into the building, and I looked and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Red Serge jackets -- four or five abreast -- they were coming through, " says Mason, about the memorial service at the Butterdome on the University of Alberta campus. "I filed a report that must have run a minute, and during that time in the background was nothing but the 'thud, thud, thud' of more Mounties coming in. Once I finished the on-air work I had to do, I was able to bend over and look out the main door they were entering at the Butterdome, and as far as you could see up the hill, there was more Red Serge, more stetsons, and that ever present 'thud, thud, thud' of their boots as they made their way into that national memorial service. It was something I'll never forget, and it's something you hope you'll never see again." (jg/ms/bp)
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:51 pm

I am so old, we worked together at CKDA!

Congratulations, Ed.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Yet another picture has appeared on iNews880.com:

jon
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Happy Anniversary Ed! I'm glad there are stiull a few pros out there that know what news is all about. I grew up on CHED News when the station was still Top 40, and it sounded pretty damn slick. My parents were CHQT listeners, so I was also treated to your newscasts on 1110.

Hard to believe that in the same workspace as seasoned veterans like Ed Mason, Eileen Bell, Bob Layton and C.R. Nichol someone could write and post a story like the one quoted below (originally from the CHED website).

jon wrote:Ed Mason celebrates 35-year anniversary
2pm 2/3/2010
Brent Pushkarenko 630ched.com

In his time in broadcasting, Mason has scaled the Great Pyramid, dove in a nuclear sub, and been around the world. But, he says the most memorable story during his time in Edmonton happened close to home -- when he attended the memorial service, killed by a gunman near Mayerthorpe in 2005.

(jg/ms/bp)

OK .. please Mr Newswriter, tell us what or who was killed. Was it Ed Mason? I kinda doubt it. I believe it was four on duty RCMP officers. If you haven't got the skills to correctly write a story paying tribute to someone you work with and should look up to, maybe you should think about hanging up your headphones now and start a new career. You might be better suited selling Fords out at Denny Andrews.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 pm

"We'll be raising the bar for journalism," Lumpy said trumpeting iNews 880's launch.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:54 pm

From tomorrow morning's Hicks on Six:

Congratulations to CHED newsman Ed Mason, celebrating his 35th anniversary with the same radio station (more or less) earlier this week. Ed started with CHQT in 1975, which became Cool 880 in 2001, which became 880 Joe AM, which went back to Cool 880 in 2004, which became iNews880 in 2008. By which time Ed, still firmly on top of his game, had moved to sister station CHED.
jon
Advanced Member

Voices from Ed's Past

Postby jon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 pm

I recorded several 35th anniversary tributes to Ed Mason last October at the Edmonton Broadcasters Club luncheon. One was from the late Lew Roskin, which is included in this thread.

Another is from Irv Shore, which I've put together with his own imaging from the 1980s. Click here to hear.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby brynster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:59 pm

100% PRO
100% CLASS

You can't help but learn a few tricks just by watching him work a story. Also understands that the best way to break a story is to have the best contact list. People came to him with great leads and information. Trust goes a long way. THAT says it all to me.

Congrats on 35 great years!

Bryn
brynster

Where it Came from

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 am

I've just received a copy of a 3 minute Ed Mason tribute piece that was never aired, although the aircheck collage was heard twice last Wednesday on CHED. Some of the unaired portions include a 1975 CHQT jingle from when Ed arrived in Edmonton, a 1974 CHUM jingle from the time Ed worked there, Ed starting off a 1980s Newscast, Ed explaining how he got into Radio, and some more recent News intros and clips from CHED and iNews880 (CHQT).

I've left it at a fairly high bit rate because most of the material is studio quality stereo. Click here to hear the original Ed Mason 35th anniversary tribute (3:05, 3MB).
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta