Rob Christie launches Edmonton’s Official Christmas Station

Radio news from Alberta

Rob Christie launches Edmonton’s Official Christmas Station

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:25 pm

Radio Star Rob Christie launches Edmonton’s Official Christmas Station, MIX 107.9

“Okay, let’s see if I remember how to do this,” joked Rob Christie, after cracking open the microphone to mark the moment of his triumphant return to the airwaves of Edmonton.

“Okay, here we go: Edmonton’s Official Christmas Station, MIX 107.9! Good afternoon, it’s Rob Christie!”

The moment marked the cherry on top of a format change on the radio station occurring Tuesday afternoon, shifting from playing popular contemporary music to Christmas music.

In typical radio format-flip tradition, listeners were treated (assaulted?) with an unexpected barrage of sound. In this case, an entire hour of a single phrase looped from the end of the Michael Jackson 1982 hit “Thriller” narrated by Vincent Price, famed horror movie actor.

“Your body starts to shiver,” a clever nod to the Christmas format the station would soon offer from that moment until the end of the 2023 holiday season.

https://heartlandnews.ca/wp-content/upl ... ristie.mp3

“I gotta tell ya, it feel great. It feels great to be back on the air, to be back on the radio. You know, when you’ve been in this business as long as I have, it’s in your genes and it’s the happy place. It’s the happy place,” Rob said in his Christmas format kick-off message.

“I’d be lying to you if I told you I didn’t miss it.

“It’s great to be talking to you, and I look forward to informing you, and entertaining you, and sharing this great music with you. This great holiday music.

Read the full story at: https://heartlandnews.ca/2023/11/01/rad ... mix-107-9/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rob Christie launches Edmonton’s Official Christmas Stat

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:28 pm

It's the evening of January 1 and MIX 107.9 (CKFT-FM) is still playing Christmas music. I know some stations have gone as far as December 27 with the All-Christmas music format (Vancouver's 97/KISS FM's flip to JACK in 2003 as an example), but I think this is a new record. If the goal was to use the Holiday Music format as a means of building listenership, how many of those new listeners are going to stick around seven days after the fact? Looking forward to hearing whatever Craig Fee and company have planned for the station tomorrow! :)
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:18 pm

First checked overnight last night and the Morning Show this morning.

It is still MIX 107.9 and the slogan is "Retro to Right Now". From the few songs that I heard, Hot AC, mainly from the '80s to current, would be my best guess on the music.

Caught the 8:30 AM News this morning and it is being done out of the local newspaper's Newsroom. The local focus was on Fort Saskatchewan and nearby Sherwood Park.

Heavy emphasis on "Rob Christie in the Morning".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:57 pm

jon wrote:First checked overnight last night and the Morning Show this morning.

It is still MIX 107.9 and the slogan is "Retro to Right Now". From the few songs that I heard, Hot AC, mainly from the '80s to current, would be my best guess on the music.

Caught the 8:30 AM News this morning and it is being done out of the local newspaper's Newsroom. The local focus was on Fort Saskatchewan and nearby Sherwood Park.

Heavy emphasis on "Rob Christie in the Morning".

Definitely a rock-leaning Hot AC. I tuned in Wednesday evening a little after 7:00 PST to hear the likes of Gavin de Graw, The Tragically Hip and Avril Lavigne. Also heard a short newscast courtesy Heartland News around 8:00 PST which I didn't expect. No Rob Christie promos but the imaging voice is the same guy heard on Rock101 Vancouver. I'm assuming (for now at least) that Rob Christie is the only host?
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:29 am

DonovanTildesley wrote:I'm assuming (for now at least) that Rob Christie is the only host?

So was I until I read Broadcast Dialogue's item on the station.

Kim Scott is on mid-days and Neil Morrison, ex-CFOX and Toronto's The Edge, is Afternoon Drive.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta