Corus responds to CRTC and Interventions

Radio news from Alberta

Corus responds to CRTC and Interventions

Postby Rocky » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:08 pm

https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/instanc ... xyQLvpJ6OI

One of the best interventions that says it all:

Intervention, observation ou réponse de l'intimé / Intervention, comment or answer by respondent

Date reçu / Date Arrived: 2023-02-13

Numéro de processus public / Public Process Number:
Numéro d'intervention / Intervention Number: 4
Demande(s) / Application(s): 2022-0653-1
Cas / Case: 305575

Demande à comparaître à l'audience publique / Request to appear at the public hearing: Non/No
Intimé / Respondent: Non/No

Commentaire / Comment
After reading the reply letter that Corus sent you, I feel compelled to point out a few things that you would not likely know unless you live in Calgary and listen to 107.3 FM. You asked Corus to tell you what programming they are running currently on CFGQ-FM and CHQR. In their reply, Corus gives the impression that they are running different programming on the two stations when in fact, since 5:30am on Monday, January 9, 2023, CFGQ-FM has been a 100% simulcast of CHQR.

They suggest this is not the case with clever wording that they are “broadcasting greater amounts of news/talk content on CFGQ-FM throughout the broadcast week and transitioning that station away from a predominantly musical format” when they could have honestly answered that they are simply repeating CHQR entirely on CFGQ-FM since January 9. They go on to say “CHQR continues to operate in a predominantly news/talk format” which is true, but they make it sound like CHQR is different from CFGQ-FM. Corus highly promoted this change on CFGQ-FM and CHQR on January 9 so it is no secret that the FM station is 100% simulcasting CHQR. Even the logo makes that clear where it is one common logo with the two frequencies. They do run different commercials sometimes but that is the only difference between the two channels.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9392117/coru ... ry-launch/

https://www.corusent.com/news/corus-rad ... n-fm-dial/

They talk about CBC Radio 1 being on both AM and FM which is true, but I have to believe that CBC is properly licensed to do so with the FM being a repeater of the AM and approved by the CRTC to do that. I understand that Corus wants to be on equal footing with the CBC and has every right to make a business decision to change format but they should have to follow the same rules to legally be able to do so rather than just cheat the rules and ask for forgiveness later.

Corus does say in their reply that they intend to simulcast CHQR entirely on CFGQ-FM and say they will apply to change the license of CFGQ-FM at a later date. But they have already started simulcasting is my point. Why jump the gun and change before they got the OK to do so from CRTC? What if the CRTC denies the change?

I do hear different commercials sometimes on CFGQ-FM. My understanding is that rebroadcasting frequencies are not permitted to air separate commercials and a repeater can only simulcast the originating station in its entirety including the commercials and. Is that correct? If so, the CRTC should also ask Corus about this too.

I am just an annoyed listener who lost my Classic Rock station. I get that radio stations change format and are free to do so. What has me so upset about this is that Corus is breaking the rules and not just changing the music format of a station but eliminating one FM station from the Calgary airwaves all together. Why would they not have simply made an application to switch CHQR from AM to FM? I believe the CRTC recently gave broadcasters the ability to operate three FM stations instead of two so Corus could have simply applied to flip CHQR from AM to FM and left CFGQ-FM alone and not reduce the number of FM music stations.

I hope the CRTC holds Corus to account and makes them follow the regulations. The public is getting tired of these huge corporations doing whatever they want assuming there will be no consequences. They need to know the rules apply to them just like everyone else.

I appreciate the ability to voice my opinion on this matter.

Copie envoyée au demandeur et à tout autre intimé si applicable / Copy sent to applicant and to any respondent if applicable: Oui/Yes

Information du client / Client information

Nom / Name: Peter Dixon
Titre / Title:
Au nom de la compagnie / On behalf of company:
Adresse courriel / E-mail address: peter.dixon0513@gmail.com
Adresse postale / Address: Calgary, AB, Canada
Code postal / Postal code:
Téléphone / Telephone:
Facsimilé / Fax:
Rocky
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta