Calgary's Classic Rock Q 107 is flipping formats

Radio news from Alberta

Calgary's Classic Rock Q 107 is flipping formats

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:42 am

Hosts mark last day on Calgary’s Q107 ahead of format flip
By Connie Thiessen -December 16, 2022

Q107 (CFGQ-FM) Calgary hosts “Tarzan Dan” Freeman and Cam Sullivan have announced that today marks their last shows on the Corus Entertainment Classic Rock station ahead of an impending format flip in the New Year.

Freeman, who is well-known for his run hosting television show, YTV Hit List with Tarzan Dan, throughout the ’90s, has been with Q107 since 2016. Heard weekdays from 2 – 6 p.m., he has been one of a handful of local voices left on Q107 with Willy in the Morning, the morning show from sister station Rock 101 (CFMI-FM) Vancouver, airing on the station since August 2019. Rock 101 afternoon drive host Robin LaRose has also been heard in evenings.

“My last show is today and it sucks,” said Freeman, in a video posted to Facebook. “I’ve tried to think of a million ways of saying it, but it sucks. I love coming in and doing what I do every single day…it’s never an easy pill to swallow.”

Freeman plans to go out this afternoon with “Fan Request Friday” for all four hours of his show.

“I’d love to play your favourite request and take out Q107 the way it deserves to be taken out. A heritage radio station that kicked ass and had some great people on it.”

Cam Sullivan, who had hosted middays since 2020, has also announced his departure, however he’ll be staying with the company, joining Corus’ Country 105 (CKRY-FM) across the hall as Assistant Program Director. Sullivan has been with Corus since 2013, working his way up from street team member to Assistant Music Director at Q107. Over that time, he had hosted almost every daypart on Q107, in addition to a four-year stint hosting swing on Country 105.

Sullivan wrote in a post to Twitter that on a personal level, he was really sad to see the end of Q107.

“Growing up, music is how I connected with my dad. We’d drive around listen to Q because it was the only station playing the stuff we both loved,” said Sullivan, adding that a visit to the studio during Terry DiMonte’s time in mornings, solidified his passion to pursue radio as a career.

Corus says the station’s new format will be revealed January 9. It had carried the Q107 branding and variations on the Classic Rock since 2004 when its predecessor CKIK-FM dropped its Hot AC format and the station call letters were changed to CFGQ-FM.Sullivan wrote in a post to Twitter that on a personal level, he was really sad to see the end of Q107.

“Growing up, music is how I connected with my dad. We’d drive around listen to Q because it was the only station playing the stuff we both loved,” said Sullivan, adding that a visit to the studio during Terry DiMonte’s time in mornings, solidified his passion to pursue radio as a career.

Corus says the station’s new format will be revealed January 9. It had carried the Q107 branding and variations on the Classic Rock since 2004 when its predecessor CKIK-FM dropped its Hot AC format and the station call letters were changed to CFGQ-FM.

From Broadcast Dialogue https://broadcastdialogue.com/hosts-mar ... rmat-flip/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary's Classic Rock Q 107 is flipping formats

Postby oldformerdj » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:24 pm

1982. 107 KIK-FM signed on. A bit heavier than CJAY-92. Way heavier than Lite 96. CKRY signed on. Way better than CFAC, but AM was still more popular than FM for the country folks. Back when there were about 8 radio stations in Calgary. CKRY stuck with their format. Still here. KIK maybe should have? Sad to see a classic rock station change format. To be honest, the only radio I listen to is the comedy station. When I'm driving. The rest just make me sad.
oldformerdj

Postby beddows » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:27 am

How very strange, it appears to have the highest ratings of any FM station in that market in the summer ratings period, way up over the previous. Why the heck would they flip it?

Is CFMI next?
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:52 pm

The summer results were an outlier, and showed mostly in 2+, which is meaningless.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:54 am

The talk I'm hearing is that QR 77will be moving to 107.3 on January 9th. If this does happen, what will become of 770? I don't believe simulcasts are allowed. Will they create a new format like Classic Country or maybe Oldies?

Hey, how about All Traffic? Then again, maybe they will just sell it off. I'm sure the land value at the TX site would be worth several million dollars.

If they do pull this off, will the repeat the process in Edmonton and Vancouver? They could blow up CHUCK in Edmonton and move CHED to 92.5. Like QR, the CHED TX site is some prime real estate that I'm sure some developer would
love to get their hands on.

In Vancouver, CFMI seems safe. I could see them moving CKNW to 99.3 and putting CFOX to sleep.

Interesting times. We'll have to see what the CRTC has to say about moving News/Talk, spoken word to FM.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Rocky wrote:I don't believe simulcasts are allowed.

The CRTC has set the precedent for simulcasting with CKLQ AM & FM Brandon, Manitoba. The AM license was cancelled, and an AM transmitter was added to the FM license. The CRTC then stated that although an FM cannot simulcast an AM, there was nothing in the regulations prohibiting an AM from simulcasting an FM.

Then there is the example of CFRY in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, which was authorized for a 27,000 watt FM nested repeater (it has since become a stand-alone, separately programmed FM station).

In theory, CHQR could either move to FM, replacing CFGQ-FM, and keep the AM transmitter on the air as an FM-AM simulcast. Or they could add CFGQ-FM's transmitter to the CHQR-770 license as a nested FM repeater.

Normally, with the new CRTC rules allowing 3 FMs in a market, I would guess that Corus would simply apply for a new FM license, but I'm told that there are no FM frequencies left in Calgary that would allow for 100KW, so something involving the CFGQ-FM frequency is possible.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:00 pm

jon wrote:
Rocky wrote:I don't believe simulcasts are allowed.

The CRTC has set the precedent for simulcasting with CKLQ AM & FM Brandon, Manitoba. The AM license was cancelled, and an AM transmitter was added to the FM license. The CRTC then stated that although an FM cannot simulcast an AM, there was nothing in the regulations prohibiting an AM from simulcasting an FM.

Then there is the example of CFRY in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, which was authorized for a 27,000 watt FM nested repeater (it has since become a stand-alone, separately programmed FM station).

In theory, CHQR could either move to FM, replacing CFGQ-FM, and keep the AM transmitter on the air as an FM-AM simulcast. Or they could add CFGQ-FM's transmitter to the CHQR-770 license as a nested FM repeater.

Normally, with the new CRTC rules allowing 3 FMs in a market, I would guess that Corus would simply apply for a new FM license, but I'm told that there are no FM frequencies left in Calgary that would allow for 100KW, so something involving the CFGQ-FM frequency is possible.

There's also the matter of talk on FM being a specialty format and theoretically needing a CRTC application and process. However, that seems to happen behind the scenes these days -- see: CityNews Smiths Falls/Ottawa.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:04 pm

Rocky wrote:I could see them moving CKNW to 99.3 and putting CFOX to sleep.

CFOX is typically top 3 25-54 and sometimes #1.

Having said that, Corus is likely gearing up to piece-meal the whole thing off and moving some AM brands to FM is a good way to trim the whole thing and bring some costs down.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta