ALBERTA BUZZ

Radio news from Alberta

Postby monakitty » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:52 am

I am an old Alberta guy. I'd like to know whats going on there. Is everyone reading this from B.C.? If you are from Alberta, please post some Alberta radio news, gossip, thoughts, etc! I'll do the same! Sadly, there hasn't been much lately...
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby RoadRunner65 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Not much going on here in Calgary Monakitty. Its the same old boring radio like it has been for years now. Calgary needs a big shake up and quick.

RR65
RoadRunner65
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:59 pm

I may get beat up for this, but I think the Edmonton Radio market is quite healthy. Lots of competition, the majority of on-air folks are competent and have a personality of their own, and most stations really seem to make an effort to woo new listeners and retain the ones they have.

To me, the biggest question right now in this market is: what effect is the CHED Chopper having on AM/PM Drive time commuter listening habits? Are non-Corus listeners switching over to CHED at 4 minutes past each ten minute mark just to hear the latest traffic report? Other CORUS stations carry reports at varying times (I haven't bothered to figure out the pattern).

As a side note: I was quite surprised to see that CHED has a dedicated reporter, and that the other three Corus stations share a second traffic reporter.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby RoadRunner65 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:33 pm

Newcaps Cafe90.3 is broadcasting on the web at www.cafe90fm.com I just wonder how long it will take them to get on the air. They got approval last week by the CRTC and there already on the web. Thats pretty quick. I guess will have to wait and see untill they can get on the air.

Hopfully this station will work better then California 103 or whatever they are called :)

RR65
RoadRunner65
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:59 am

CAFE 90,3

Thank you Calgary
butch
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta