Original CHED Building demolished

Radio news from Alberta

Re: Original CHED Building demolished

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Marty Forbes wrote:Contrary to the first post - the CHED building was knocked down years ago

jon wrote:Both the CHED building and the one to the left of it, on the corner of 100 Ave and 107 Street, were demolished years ago.

Ooops, my bad. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say: never mind.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby mike marshall » Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Marty Forbes wrote:Contrary to the first post - the CHED building was knocked down years ago and has been a parking lot since then - and the Il Portico restaurant was a different building.

I should've believed KJ, who told me when asked, that the building had been torn down. Taking a ride a while back in the Googlemobile, looking at the restaurant on its street side, I could have sworn there were styling cues similar to the CHED building that suggested it had been refaced. My profound apologies.
(Mike salutes and quietly leaves the room)
mike marshall

Postby mike marshall » Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Sorry. Double Post (only worth saying once). Aw, hell, I'm *really* sorry!
mike marshall

Postby mike marshall » Thu May 02, 2019 5:46 am

Marty Forbes wrote:Contrary to the first post - the CHED building was knocked down years ago and has been a parking lot since then - and the Il Portico restaurant was a different building.

Back in 2017, there was a car chase through the streets of Edmonton. The story, which mentioned the intersection where one of the cars went off the road, caught my attention. Somewhere, can't remember, (someone on a radio forum?) eventually stated that the old CHED building was right on the corner. Not so, I thought, there was a building on the corner,
then CHED, but couldn't think of what it was.
I took a look at the street view on Google and discovered a parking lot. KJ, when asked in an email, said that CHED was long gone, torn down, and so was the apartment building that had been right on the corner.
Short story long, Il Portico looked like it was the original CHED, refaced and nicely refinished. Styling cues, similarities on the street side of the restaurant, made me wonder if I had the right story.
Sorry I doubted KJ, thank you, Marty, for more detail. Profound apologies to all.
(Mike salutes and quietly leaves the room)
mike marshall

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 02, 2019 8:18 am

Regardless of the circumstances of the original building, this thread has brought back memories and connected people. That's the best part!

No one should feel like they have to leave. Period. No one is keeping score and it isn't about marks or grades.

Who else has memories? Or media to share?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby mike marshall » Thu May 02, 2019 2:38 pm

More apologies are due. I'm really sorry about this. I was trying to post a reply to Marty's message but never saw it appear at the tail-end of the thread, so FDOTFL, I kept on posting it, thinking all the attempts were piling up in some forum black hole, never to see the light of day. They were piling up alright, on the NEXT (2) PAGE !!
Think I'd better retire all over again, this time for good...
mike marshall

Previous

Return to Alberta