K97's Rob Berg retiring!

Radio news from Alberta

K97's Rob Berg retiring!

Postby Brad Winder » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Am I hearing correctly this afternoon that the venerable Rob Berg is retiring from the K97 airwaves?

With Melissa Wright gone, and Todd James over on Capital now, I only recognize Terry Evans anymore.
Brad Winder

Re: K97's Rob Berg retiring!

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:28 pm

This was posted on the K-97 Facebook page.

Rob Berg’s love for radio started much like everyone else’s, by listening to it from the cab of his truck. Rob’s first “career” was a truck driver, where he listened to radio for hours as he made his hauls up and down the roads in and around Edmonton.

The radio bug bit Rob when his friend, who worked in radio in Westlock, challenged him to send in a demo back in 1982; 2 weeks later, he was hired. Rob worked in Westlock for 4 years, then after a short stint in Westaskiwin, he got the call to play in the big leagues at Edmonton’s K-97! Rob says, “Getting that call was like winning the lottery”! That was in 1988…Rob has been part of the K-97 fabric for THIRTY YEARS!

In 2013 Rob was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Always the consummate professional, he decided he wanted to leave the K-97 airwaves at the top of his game. Rob stated, “I’m still able to do the job, but I don’t want to hold on until I can’t do it anymore.”

While Rob may be retiring from radio, he is certainly not “retiring” in general. He is busier than ever taking care of his health, and wants to find opportunities to help others suffering from Parkinson’s.

Rob Berg’s last show on K-97 will be Friday, September 28th from 2pm-6pm. As Rob said, “30 years with K-97 seemed like a nice round number to call it a career”.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta