New Airchecks

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Postby radiofan » Wed May 17, 2006 8:13 pm

I'm gradually getting the aircheck collection somewhat organized and accessable.

Check out the Radio West Aircheck and Jingle Archives for the latest additions.

In the AIRCHECKS section there is a great aircheck of a CBC "HOURGLASS" TV show from 1972 that features most of the Vancouver area talkers of the day including PAT BURNS, ART FINLEY, JACK WEBSTER and many others. Thanks to Jack Bennest of BC Radio History for sharing this one.

Also an aircheck of JIM BRADY hosting a Saturday Night edition of GET BACK at Calgary's CHQR 810.. [yes...CHQR wasn't even the AMazing AM yet .. and it wasn't on 770 yet either!]

In the JINGLES section...a custom version of "SECOND TIME AROUND" by Shalamar done for KJR and The Sonics as they tried to go for a 2nd NBA championship.

Enjoy!!

As always...your suggestions and comments are welcome.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for the airchecks Radiofan!

It's nice to see/hear their return.

Especially fond of the 'QR aircheck with Jim Brady and the a capella jingles. Still remember the "Brady in the morning" jingle playing on 'QR. From what I remember the morning air chair was filled by a number of people in the '80s (after Don Slade left?), including Jim Brady, Foxy John (aka Jack Fox), Norm Edwards, and didn't Vern Koop team up with another newsie (was it Hal Gardner?) with the two doing a news-wheel type morning show for a brief period?

'QR also had some great news voices - Murray Sherriffs, Bernie Wolfe?, Angela Kokott, ...

I'm now off to listen to the CBC feature -

I was a big fan of Pat Burns. I tried numerous times to get Roy Hennessy to pick up the BNI incarnation of the Hotline for CISS AM Calgary when they were "Hot Talk" I listened to him on CKO and later on CKRW Whitehorse on my Uncle's satellite receiver. In fact, I think I might even have a copy of the BNI demo tape of Pat which I think was done at a campus radio station.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Fri May 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Got to thinking about parts of the 'QR aircheck.

Wonder what Jim Brady thought of 'QR claiming to have the "original million dollar weekend"? He would've been part of such weekends at CKLW as Mark Richards.

'XL was doing "weekend specials" around the time of this aircheck so was CFR encroaching on 'QR's turf and claiming their weekends were also million dollar weekends? I can't say as I remember that. I think CHED was still celebrating "solid gold weekends" in Edmonton. Anybody know for sure?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Flash Frizbone » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:43 am

Last I heard Brady was doing mornings in Toledo and selling real estate ..I remember him on CFTR in the 70s and early 80s and I especially remember the sheep dog on the Newspaper Ads..HOO HA Its Thursday!
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)