CFAC Calgary - Hod Pharis - 1982

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CFAC Calgary - Hod Pharis - 1982

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:42 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

Our salute to the 100th anniversary of 960 CFAC Radio in Calgary concludes with Hod Pharis hosting the station's Friday morning/overnight show in early September 1982.

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... er-10-1982

Charles Hollis "Hod" Pharis was born in Pincher Creek, Alberta and died in early February 2001 in Wetaskawin, Alberta.

Pharis was a constable with the Calgary Police Service as well as being a forest ranger and a trapper. Hod also pursued a songwriting career and performed on a number of country radio shows including CFCN Calgary's "Sagebrush Serenade," "The Old Timer's Show" and "The Ray Little Show."

He toured extensively in western Canada with his band, "The Plainsmen," and recorded two albums with the group.

Hod worked as a DJ during the 1970s and '80s at CFAC Radio and after retiring from the Calgary Police Service moved to Armstrong, BC before returning to Alberta.

In 1983, Hod returned to the music scene with the release of his novelty single "Video Mania Blues" on the Circa Records label.

Hod's greatest musical fame came in his writing the country songs, "I Heard The Bluebirds Sing" and "Call Of The Mountain."

"I Heard The Bluebirds Sing" was a #4 Billboard hit, in 1957, for The Browns, comprised of Jim Ed Brown and sisters Maxine and Bonnie. The song had originally been recorded in 1952 as a duet by Hod & Annie Little.

"I Heard The Bluebirds Sing" was inducted into the Covered Classics category of the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame in 2015. https://www.cshf.ca/song/i-heard-the-bluebirds-sing/
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)