CKXL Calgary - Russ Tyson & J. Paul Huddleston - 1976

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKXL Calgary - Russ Tyson & J. Paul Huddleston - 1976

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:25 am

From the Eric Dawes aircheck archives -

A Tuesday morning in early July 1976, ahead of the start of the annual Calgary Stampede and its parade which would follow that Friday. Russ Tyson is hosting the 1140 CKXL morning show. He is joined by newscaster J. Paul Huddleston. Yes, that J. Paul Huddleston - https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... uly-6-1976

Russ got his start in radio in his hometown of Trail, BC at 610 CJAT. Before joining CKXL, he spent time at CJME Regina, CHAM Hamilton and CFUN Vancouver.

He left CKXL to join competitor 1060 CFCN in September 1976, initially as host of the evening show before moving to the afternoon show. He would go on to serve as CFCN Radio's music director and assistant program director until leaving in 1981 for Northern Productions. Russ would then spend many years on air and in programming in Saskatoon, Thunder Bay and Winnipeg.

Image Calgary Albertan 25 September 1976

Image Calgary Herald 28 May 1981

J. Paul Huddleston, formerly of KHJ Los Angeles, at the time was CKXL's news director and Moffat Communications' news consultant. Huddleston would go on to WBCS Milwaukee, Wisconsin and WOAI San Antonio, Texas. He died in 1993.

Image Edmonton Journal 22 July 1975

During his tenure as CKXL's news director, J. Paul offered Margaret Trudeau wife of Canada's Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau, a job with the Calgary radio station.

Image Calgary Albertan 7 February 1976

Thank you, Eric! We appreciate you sharing this aircheck with us.

Your western Canada and US northwest aircheck and jingle contributions are welcomed, too. PM me or e-mail radiowest@telus.net
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKXL Calgary - Russ Tyson & J. Paul Huddleston - 1976

Postby Mannie Buzunis » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 am

I was fortunate to have been trained and mentored by J.Paul. He was the News consultant for the Moffat stations when I arrived at CKY Winnipeg in 1975. The Big 58 was a Canadian powerhouse, and it's Newsroom inhabitated by some of the greats...I was so intimidated as a relative newbie. Ted Farr was ND and no one could write better. Between the two, you couldn't help but elevate your own game. I just wish every News reader today could be taught the myriad of skills required.
Mannie Buzunis

Postby radiofan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:41 am

Mannie Buzunis wrote:I was fortunate to have been trained and mentored by J.Paul. He was the News consultant for the Moffat stations when I arrived at CKY Winnipeg in 1975. The Big 58 was a Canadian powerhouse, and it's Newsroom inhabitated by some of the greats...I was so intimidated as a relative newbie. Ted Farr was ND and no one could write better. Between the two, you couldn't help but elevate your own game. I just wish every News reader today could be taught the myriad of skills required.

Welcome to Radio West, Mannie! Hope to see you post often.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Mannie Buzunis » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:53 am

Thank you.
Mannie Buzunis

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 am

JPH first arrived to Moffat Broadcasting in Calgary while I was still there in 1973. I best remember him as (not surprising) an engaging story-teller.
One of my favorite recountings concerned the legendary Robert W Morgan who at times very early in the morning would walk to the Melrose studios of KHJ from wherever nearby he’d spent the night. On this one occasion he was carrying a hand-held electric hair-dryer; perhaps borrowed from a girlfriend, perhaps planning to tidy himself up a bit before starting his morning show. A passing LAPD patrol car spotted him, circled and screeched to a stop with both officers leaping out - guns drawn.
“Drop the weapon” one ordered.
Raising the hairdryer over his head, Morgan replied: “Don’t shoot. It’s not even plugged in”.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:25 pm

The aircheck of Robert W. Morgan and the "punk cop" hair dryer incident is a classic! It can still be found on reelradio.com, and was also on Youtube as recently as a year ago, although I can't seem to find it tonight. He basically spent over an hour and a half of his show lambasting this particular officer, as well as taking calls from listeners. J. Paul was Morgan's newsman at that time. I'm curious as to why he would have left a top US market to work in Canada? Although I recall that BR Bradbury ended up doing a similar thing in the late '80s to the mid-90s at CFUN/QM/FM.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)