CKIK Calgary - Rob Brown - 1988

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKIK Calgary - Rob Brown - 1988

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:30 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

On the evening of April 15, 1982 Calgary heard a radio station at 107.3 FM for the first time. The first song played on CKIK was AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" on a show hosted by founding music director, Jaime Wohl. Andrew Forysth was the founding program director. The local cable TV access channel, Cable 10, simulcast the station's launch which included a visit from Ralph Klein, then mayor of Calgary, and Supertramp's John Honeywell.

Image 8 January 1982 Calgary Herald

Image 15 April 1982 Calgary Herald

Image 15 April 1982 Calgary Herald

Today, the station is known as Q107 (CFGQ).

Six years to the day after the station's launch, we have the late Rob Brown on "Calgary's Classic Rock," 107 KIK FM. Steve Horne reports on the news while Jock Wilson has the sports -

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... il-15-1988

Rob started his radio career in Dryden, Ontario later moving on to Fort Frances, Ontario eventually making his way to Red Deer, Alberta.

He joined KIK from Edmonton's K-97 (CIRK), and would move from afternoons to host the KIK morning show before joining Ottawa's Majic FM 100 (CJMJ). The remainder of his radio career was spent in Thunder Bay.

Rob died in late September 2006 -
https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/ch ... =174060666
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKIK Calgary - Rob Brown - 1988

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:39 am

If you, or someone you know, may have a copy of the station's launch or other airchecks please let us know. We would be pleased to share the audio history here on RadioWest. Your PM or e-mail to radiowest@telus.net is welcomed.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKIK Calgary - Rob Brown - 1988

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 am

I stand corrected . . .

Robin LaRose (Rock 101 Vancouver & Q107 Calgary) among the original CKIK on air staff has let me know it was during his show that KIK FM launched with AC/DC.

"Robert [K Whyte] hired me away from Cjay. told me he needed help in building a new rock station. I said sure, let's do it. so we did. first song Kik107 played "for those about to rock" on my show at 7pm april 15, 1982. fun times.
cheers
RL"
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)