Red Robinson @ CKWX 1984

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Red Robinson @ CKWX 1984

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 pm

In 1984 Red Robinson was doing afternoon drive at Supercountry, CKWX 1130. From Labor Day until his retirement in November, Red's show was billed as Red Robinson's Teen Canteen 54 - 84. Here's a portion of one of Red's Teen Canteen show from his last week at CKWX.

Red Robinson's Teen Canteen on CKWX November 8th, 1984 Aircheck in AM Stereo

25: 46 21,168 KB
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 am

First off, I was happy that Red was playing Oldies, and not Country.

In the first few minutes, Red plays a voice clip of Don Everly. I'm sure Don calls him Red Robertson! Am I hearing things?

Regardless, Red sounds like he's having a lot of fun doing the show and being a DJ.

Too bad that kind of energy and enthusiasm are lacking today.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:23 pm

This is a really great aircheck, especially when you consider it was aired during PM Drive, with its heavy "feature load", from Traffic to lots of commercials and promos.

This is the first I've heard of Red during his "middle years". His timing is great. And he has some great voice qualities that were missing by the time I began hearing him again on CFRN, simulcasting CISL, in 1998. I really hadn't heard him, other than doing spots, after he left CFUN in the mid-1960s.

Nice extended aside about the master of the Drake format, Robert W. Morgan, at the 24 minute mark. I knew that Red and Robert W. both worked at KMBY Monterey, but I didn't know it was at the same time. Robert O. Smith came later, and I heard KMBY regularly by that time, but only after midnight.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:06 pm

sparky wrote:
Regardless, Red sounds like he's having a lot of fun doing the show and being a DJ.

Too bad that kind of energy and enthusiasm are lacking today.

Well, I imagine Red:
1. Picked his own music.
2. Wasn't subjected to consultants with contradictory opinions about how to do his show.
3. Didn't get harangued and micromanaged.
4. Could do a show without having to fit in endless banal liner cards and positioning statements.

In other words, he was left alone to be Red and entertain people the way he thought best.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)