CKBD Vancouver - Launch Announcement - 1994

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKBD Vancouver - Launch Announcement - 1994

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

On January 9th, 1994 the AM radio band in Vancouver gained a contemporary Christian music station. From January 8th, here's the launch announcement for The Bridge 600 AM CKBD -

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... ary-8-1994

The predecessor to the Bridge was "The Classic Rock Station" AM 600 CHRX, you can hear that format's conclusion here -

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2829&p=12763157&hilit=ckbd#p12763157

CHRX was preceded for decades by CJOR, here's the final 15 minutes of CJOR and the launch of CHRX -

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=564&p=12798328&hilit=cjor#p12798328

P.S. Our friend Donovan has posted the actual launch of The Bridge here -

https://soundcloud.com/pugetsoundradio/ ... 0am-launch

Thanks, Donovan!
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKBD Vancouver - Launch Announcement - 1994

Postby cart_machine » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 am

Thanks, ab4l. I was at two of those.
Leave it to Phil Kushnir to say goodbye to the classic rock listeners. I paused on the air and decided against it.
It was a real pleasure to work with Mr. McCoy and I smile every time I hear him.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 am

Thanks for the mention, AlbertaBoy! I was nine years old at the time, and this was the first format flip I had ever listened to. Ironically I skipped church on that particular Sunday just to hear it live. ;) I recall meeting Marc Patrick the following year when visiting the station, and he told the story of having to board op the stunting for a 12-hour shift that weekend...60 seconds of birds/ocean sounds...followed by a Gord Ino teaser...
Back to birds/ocean, etc. I believe The Bridge's first local hire was Dale Wolfe, who came from Christian-formatted CJCA in Edmonton. Which begs the question; if The Bridge was Canada's first Contemporary Christian music station, what was CJCA's format at that time?
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 am

DonovanTildesley wrote:Back to birds/ocean, etc. I believe The Bridge's first local hire was Dale Wolfe, who came from Christian-formatted CJCA in Edmonton. Which begs the question; if The Bridge was Canada's first Contemporary Christian music station, what was CJCA's format at that time?

CJCA was silent at the time of The Bridge's launch. CJCA didn't return to air until April 1994 with its current format.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)