CHQR Calgary - Johnnie Walker - 1985

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CHQR Calgary - Johnnie Walker - 1985

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:29 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

We remember the late Johnnie Walker on Calgary's 810 CHQR, from a Wednesday afternoon, in early December 1985.

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... ber-4-1985

Commander Brad (Neal) joins Johnnie with traffic reports. Murray Sherriffs and Louise Feroze have the news. The late Dale Sande has the sports.

Johnnie died in 1993. His radio career included time at 620 CKCK Regina; 630 CKRC Winnipeg; 1140 CKXL and 770/810 CHQR Calgary.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CHQR Calgary - Johnnie Walker - 1985

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Years ago, Bob McCord and the jocks at 630 CHED had some fun with Johnnie Walker, as he filled in on the evening shift, while the CHED Crew held its staff Christmas party -

https://soundcloud.com/friends-of-forbe ... r-guest-dj

Thank you to "KJ" for the audio.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby oldformerdj » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 pm

I worked with Johnnie at QR77. What an honor that was. A DJ I listened to growing up, and now I was working at the same radio station. So many more great radio folks I had the pleasure of working with at that time. Greg Heraldson...one of the best PD's ever, and such a nice person. Dr. Dan..the best all night guy. His wake up calls made sure I got there on time. I sometimes questioned his elaborate discription of snickerdoodles...but I know his ultimate goal was to wake me up. Thank you Doc. Bill Powers. What can I say about Billy? I listened to him on XL when I was a kid. "Weather...In a Minute." Then I played golf with him as an adult. We had beers at the Cecil. My uncle Leo owned the place. Not really my Uncle...just a family friend, but Billy knew him. All these old 1970's XL guys. I listened to them when I was a kid. Working with them....WOW! All the other pros...Vern Koop, Murray Sherrifs, Lisa Arrowsmith. What a great news team. I am so blessed to have known these people. You too Ted. We had some fun, didn't we? Oh those nicknames...spud...trout. You and I can share those.
oldformerdj

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Great to see you onboard J.J. When I first came to QR in the Summer of 83, Johnnie was living in a small studio apartment and didn't have a lot of room for stuff. His golf clubs and bag had a permanent parking spot in a back corner of the QR studio at QR Centre on 9th Avenue. They didn't make the move to Palliser. Johnnie was a class act. At the yearly Christmas Party, Johnnie would show in a Tux (probably rented from Stachow's) ... He be at the door welcoming the party goers and he had roses for all the ladies. In later years, Johnnie was working evenings and about 7PM, if I was there, he'd ask if I'd was hungry and if I felt like doing a run up to Chicken On The Way to grab a couple of 3 piece dinners. Thanks to Johnnie, I'm still a COTW fan and I make a stop there whenever I'm in Calgary.

Lot's of great stories from the old QR days ... The House At Pooh Corner and Uncle Nicky's Carpets ... The home of high prices and low quality come to mind!

Welcome to Radio West J.J.!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby oldformerdj » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:20 pm

Oh my goodness. Every time I remember the "low quality, high prices" quote, I laugh my ass off. Greg was running the board that day. My boss. Yikes. I think he thought it was pretty funny.
I thought I might get fired.
The House at Pooh Corner song was so subtle...but so obvious. You and I thought it was hilarious. The boss..not Greg...didn't think so. I think Greg would have joined us in thinking it was pretty funny. Great memories.
oldformerdj

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)