CFFR Calgary - Pat O'Bryan - 1988

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CFFR Calgary - Pat O'Bryan - 1988

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:02 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

The late Patrick Lacroix was known on air as Pat O'Bryan. In February 1988, he was at Calgary's 66-CFR as the city staged the 1988 Winter Olympic Games. Pat succeeded RadioWest.ca charter member and contributor Ronald T. Robinson as the host of the 66-CFR PM Drive Show.

Here's Pat hosting his show, in AM Stereo, from the Coca Cola Pin Trading Centre at the International Plaza, in downtown Calgary, on the afternoon of the last Friday of the Games -

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... ry-26-1988

That afternoon, Steve Brown and Karen Owen were in the newsroom. Kevin Usselman and Murray Wood were reporting on the Olympics.

At age 17, his dream of working in radio came true when he was hired by CJWW Saskatoon to work the graveyard shift on weekends. Following this he worked at CFQC Saskatoon until moving on to Calgary's CFCN and CFR. In 1991, Pat returned to Saskatoon for a six year run as morning man at C95 until he returned to CFR Calgary. He succeeded Jerry Steen and the Steen Team weekday mornings on 66-CFR when Jerry moved to the new 96.9 CKIS FM. Tara Connors joined Pat on the morning show as his co-host.

Pat died on Friday, February 7, 2003, at the age of 42 - http://www.genlookups.com/canada/webbbs ... es/read/39
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CFFR Calgary - Pat O'Bryan - 1988

Postby Muzik » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm

A friend I went together in high school and ended up working with. Pat was a great guy and still miss to this day.We had some good times together. Thank You albertaboy4life.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 am

Bring back my memories. The first voice leading into the 3PM cast was Scott Taylor (Rob Walker) and the 66CFR roving reporter for the two weeks doing cut ins from the pin trading centre was yours truly (Don Lehn) My first of two Olympics on my resume. Miss ol "Patio".. as Joanne Johnson used to call him.
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:01 pm

The thanks should go to Radiofan. He recorded and prepared the aircheck. As well as suggesting it for this week’s edition.

Always appreciate receiving feedback.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)