Paul Ski @ CHLO and Jack Casey @ CFUN

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Paul Ski @ CHLO and Jack Casey @ CFUN

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:57 pm

A few weeks ago PAUL SKI left his job as president of CHUM and became CEO of Rogers. Some RadioWest.ca members listened to Paul 40 years ago when he was a jock at CHLO in St. Thomas, ON. Here's what Paul sounded like back in the dayus when Rob Collins was beating him at poker after Saturday night dances!

The newscast and commercials aren't scoped.

Paul Ski aircheck CHLO October 22, 1968 Click Here

28:33 10,042KB
-------------------

JACK CASEY had a few careers at CFUN in the 70's, 80's and 90's. In the early 90's he was playing Favorites of Yesterday and Today in PM Drive. Jack is a regular poster here at RadioWest.ca, and will be once again joining us this Saturday at our GTG.

Jack Casey aircheck CFUN November 30, 1993 Click Here

11:32 8,115KB
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Rob Collins » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:42 pm

radiofan, Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of history of both Paul's on-air career and the sounds of CHLO beaming to South Western Ontario from St Thomas.

Yup, I was born on AM which will always have a very special place in my heart.

As I was listening to this air-check, I also recalled sticking a reverb unit in my 57' Chevy after hacking a huge hole in the back lid under the rear window for the 2nd speaker, running the wires under the carpet.

I had better stop here before I start to cry again for those glory days in the Sixties when DJ's ruled the airwaves across both great Nations.

Thanks again for posting this stream.

By the way, sounds like Paul had his own wee money making plan going on with the Record Club of Canada when he asked listeners to send a cheque for $2.50 made out to him.
Glad I never fell for that one...

And regarding Jack Casey, one of the best set of pipes ever to do an afternoon drive show at 14CFUN.

While I was out knocking on doors trying to sell some airtime back then, I enjoyed listening to both Jack and Stu playing Favorites of Yesterday and Today.
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Ski blew his voice, while a screamer at CHLO - and he told me to tone it down, at one point - because I was, shall we say, way over the top.....Ski was an able jock - and a lousy card player!

Paul managed to finesse a masters while managing CFUN. Good trick.
He will do good things for Rogers.

Jack Casey is one of the really honest to gosh, good people, that I met in my years in da biz. He was always working hard to make every break perfect, and he had just great pipes.

Jack and I could tell you about our trip to see the Seahawks and the Denver Broncos, at the old Kingdome.

It was 3-0 for Denver at the end of the third quarter, and we left for home!!! It was the worst game in the history of the NFL.
Ahhhhh, the memories....thanks for posting the check.

Oh, yeah - we had fun.....
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm

segueking2 wrote:Jack and I could tell you about our trip to see the Seahawks and the Denver Broncos, at the old Kingdome.

It was 3-0 for Denver at the end of the third quarter, and we left for home!!! It was the worst game in the history of the NFL.
Ahhhhh, the memories....thanks for posting the check.

Oh, yeah - we had fun.....

More aptly put; fun had us!!
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 am

Two words - King Cup.

Neumann and I had one hell of a drive home.

I was young and very stupid and irresponsible.

Today - I can't imagine having even one ale, and getting behind the wheel.

Like I said - we had one hell of a time.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)