Mike McCoy @ CHRX 1993

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Mike McCoy @ CHRX 1993

Postby radiofan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 pm

From 1988 until 1994, Vancouver's Classic Rock was AM 600 CHRX. From September 24th of 1993, here's MIKE McCOY in PM Drive along with newsguy JIM BENNIE.

MIKE McCOY CHRX Aircheck Click Here

15:29 // 10,911 KB
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Mike McCoy @ CHRX 1993

Postby cart_machine » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:16 am

radiofan wrote:From 1988 until 1994, Vancouver's Classic Rock was AM 600 CHRX. From September 24th of 1993, here's MIKE McCOY in PM Drive along with newsguy JIM BENNIE.

Too bad, RF, you don't have an old Love Line aircheck to post. A guy like Mike gets limited in a straight jock format.

Tell the newsguy to stop looking at McCoy so long for story reactions, find a place in the copy to breathe and cut out about 2/3rds of the Pratt promo.

I've never heard this before and had forgotten Leah was at 'RX for awhile. The sounds of Bruce Williams and Sue Sierra can be heard on the spots. I have no idea who the promo announcer is.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:30 am

I heard Ashbridge and Faux on spots - no?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:19 pm

Top Dog wrote:I heard Ashbridge and Faux on spots - no?

I don't know about John (I'd have to listen back), but Stirling was doing Lotto Corp. stuff then. BCLC bought time on RX to run Luck Radio, like it did on a whole pile of other stations.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Donovan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:41 pm

I remember this period in the history of CHRX quite well. About a year before this aircheck was made, the station had laid off nearly their entire on air staff (accepting Joe Leary and a couple others) and were primarily VT'd by the jocks at Jr. About six or seven months later, the station seemed to be getting back on track, and brought aboard some new talent such as Marc Patrick (still there) Phil Cushner (sp?), and of course Mike McCoy. Five months after this aircheck, all accept Patrick were gone as the station flipped to Christian. Anyone care to shed any light on the bizarre final 1.5 years of 'RX?
I always enjoyed McCoy's irreverent sense of humour; where is he now? And how about Leah Taleen? I think she did PM drive at one point on CISL in the late '80s, and also worked at CFUN for a short time. I'm thinking the station voice here could be Steve Harringer.
Donovan

Postby BossRadio » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:09 pm

U are correct. Steve Herringer was and still is the image guy for at least two of Pattison's country stick including the Mothership on W.Eigth Ave. and Ken Norman's plant in Grande Prairie.

Anyone know if jock Janie Farris and production guy Neil Foisey were still onboard?
Last edited by BossRadio on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby cart_machine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:08 am

Donovan wrote:Anyone care to shed any light on the bizarre final 1.5 years of 'RX?
I always enjoyed McCoy's irreverent sense of humour; where is he now? And how about Leah Taleen? I think she did PM drive at one point on CISL in the late '80s, and also worked at CFUN for a short time. I'm thinking the station voice here could be Steve Harringer.

Steve was the image guy but that's not him doing promos on this aircheck unless it's processed to death.

Yes, Leah had been at CISL. I can't remember who she replaced at 'RX, it might have been Janie (We Can't Have Two Samanthas Here) Ferris. Leah didn't stay long due to a personal situation. I think Elaine Scollan was brought in after that. There were a lot of comings and goings. My mind's a little fuzzy on some of the specifics.

As for the last 18 months, CFMI cut into the station's audience, someone decided that that a rock/sports format was the way to go, Pratt was brought on board and play-by-play sports from Seattle was aired. We got to hear the traffic guy (now a TV morning show co-host) wonder where the Knight Street bridge was and then say "Well, how am I supposed to know? I've never been on it." We got to hear Bob Lenarduzzi being asked how he thought the Canadian National Soccer team's chances were in some tournament, followed by a stunned pause and then "Well, Dave, we've been knocked out of the tournament." And then there was the caller who asked Mr. P. how he thought The Shaq would do this year and Dave answer, "Uh, Eddie Shack?"

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Donovan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:57 pm

As well as imaging, Steve Harringer also did weekends for a time at CHRX. If memory serves, Leah was there from about august '93 until late Oct. '94, when Elaine Scollan came over from CISL/Z. Prior to this, traffic was handled by Janie Farris, who took over from Delan Reid.
The thing that puzzled me about those final 18 months was why CHRX blew out many of their jocks, and then all of a sudden decided they needed more of a live presents. I was very young at the time, but recollect that some of the changes were a consequence of the station losing money.
It would be a treat to hear some Hamilton and Lamont circa 1992. A colourful morning show way ahead of its time.
Donovan

Postby cart_machine » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:17 am

Donovan wrote:As well as imaging, Steve Harringer also did weekends for a time at CHRX. If memory serves, Leah was there from about august '93 until late Oct. '94, when Elaine Scollan came over from CISL/Z. Prior to this, traffic was handled by Janie Farris, who took over from Delan Reid.

Geez, you've got a better memory than I do. I thought Janie took over from Jody Vance but Jody may just have been doing promotions. I completely forgot about Delanne. Don't tell her I said that. She was doing PR last I heard a number of years ago.

If I recall, Steve Herringer's jock career on weekends wasn't a very long one. He preferred/prefers to do production.

Donovan wrote: The thing that puzzled me about those final 18 months was why CHRX blew out many of their jocks, and then all of a sudden decided they needed more of a live presents. I was very young at the time, but recollect that some of the changes were a consequence of the station losing money.

Hell, I was there and I don't remember. In fact, in thinking about it now that you've written it, I can't honestly remember when or why Gary, Lisa and Sam left. I think Gary was let go. But, as you know, the station went through a real identity crisis when the bottom fell out of the ratings and management wasn't really sure what to do with it. Joe would know the ins and outs of it all; he dealt with the company management after Bob left.

I can't even remember who else was there at the end. I'm guessing it was Joe and Gerry and Mike. And Shawn Carle was doing all nights. Shawn had a wicked sense of humour. He'd never be able to use it on the air. He was a damned good musician, too.

I remember the sign on pretty clearly. I don't remember much about the sign off.

Donovan wrote: It would be a treat to hear some Hamilton and Lamont circa 1992. A colourful morning show way ahead of its time.

Well... I wouldn't go that far. But they worked at it; they did prep in their office (later taken over by Cindy Kilburn, Jim Pattison's daughter, in the Christian period). But probably the most infamous show in the station's history was Glenn co-hosting from the back of a police cruiser and then from jail before they took his phone away. It was no stunt. The whole thing was legit. He was picked up by the police on his way to work. At the time, we were told it was for innumerable traffic violations.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:18 pm

saaay. this sounds like our Classic Rock on AM experiment in the Valley called 85 Radio Max. substitute the C's games for the Mariners and that was it in a nutshell. format only last half as long.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby boyabouttown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Ha! Good memories, Cartie. Were we there at the same time? I was the Prod Director when the ship hit the rocks. I remember the day when they let all the jocks go. It was just after we'd done our second annual Classic Rockstock (lame name) at the Plaza of Nations. Thanks for all your hard work, here's a pink slip to remember us by.

And I still don't believe Lamont's arrest was real. But, oh, did the boys keep me waiting forever to do the produced bits they'd run the following morning.
boyabouttown

Postby boyabouttown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:55 pm

BossRadio wrote:U are correct. Steve Herringer was and still is the image guy for at least two of Pattison's country stick including the Mothership on W.Eigth Ave. and Ken Norman's plant in Grande Prairie.

Anyone know if jock Janie Farris and production guy Neil Foisey were still onboard?

I haven't heard the clip (no sound card here) but if it was RX, yah I was the producer.

NF
boyabouttown

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:19 am

boyabouttown wrote:Ha! Good memories, Cartie. Were we there at the same time? I was the Prod Director when the ship hit the rocks. I remember the day when they let all the jocks go. It was just after we'd done our second annual Classic Rockstock (lame name) at the Plaza of Nations. Thanks for all your hard work, here's a pink slip to remember us by.

And I still don't believe Lamont's arrest was real. But, oh, did the boys keep me waiting forever to do the produced bits they'd run the following morning.

Hi, Boy. I was there when Steve Lundie was production manager, then Peter Swoboda and then you (I don't think I'm missing anyone). I was there the first day (the format change from CJOR happened during my shift) and there the last. I don't remember the last day, to be honest, other than Shawn and I were talking about what he planned to do. I do vividly remember the staff meeting dealing with the Xian format.

Maybe I'm just naive but I didn't think the arrest was a set-up. If it was, I wouldn't be surprised, though. It was probably the highlight of the station's existence.

It was a nice place to work, almost everyone seemed to get along. McCoy was great fun and I miss having him around. I'd love to hear from Sam Vega again some time.

It's good to hear you're still around. You're still playing your music, I guess. I see Andy Walsh periodically and like to remind him "Well, you're no Maurice Foisy."

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:26 am

crs wrote:saaay. this sounds like our Classic Rock on AM experiment in the Valley called 85 Radio Max. substitute the C's games for the Mariners and that was it in a nutshell. format only last half as long.

CRS, you have to like a ball club with radio broadcasts that can't be picked up anywhere near the ball park.

Whenever I listened to the MAX feed in Brook's booth prior to games, I was struck by the fact that I had played more than half the songs at the same radio station a couple of decades earlier. That, I guess, was before they tried a rock format.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:42 am

I did know Mike McCoy but haven’t had any contact since the 80’s to the best of my recollection. I can barely remember what he looks like or what his real name is……

Ted Farr
Vice President News Talk Programming
News Talk 650 Saskatoon
News Talk 980 Regina
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)