Mike McCoy @ CHRX 1993

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Postby Donovan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks for the memories. Having only been a listener, its a treat to get the inside scoop on what was going on behind the scenes. While I never heard the actual show where Lamont was arrested, I recall hearing about the incident at the time. I also remember one Good Friday morning, when Hamilton was back at the studio, and Lamont decided to do cut-ins from church. Apparently he tried to get the priest to come on the radio, but was told to "go to hell". And one other time, after a particularly heated on-air exchange, Lamont called Brian Lord a "d**khead", and Hamilton told him to "go to the bad dog box" or something to that effect.

As for the final day of the station, as I recall David Pratt signed it off at 6:00 P.M. Friday with "Stairway to Heaven", followed by 42 hours of ocean/bird sounds interspersed with splitters (voiced by Gord Eno) announcing the arrival of The Bridge. In the first month or so, the new Bridge had no announcers, but used VTs from some American Christian service until dale wolf arrived.

I may be completely wrong here, but I believe that Mike McCoy indirectly had a hand in bringing Larry and Willy together in the '80s. According to Don Percy (Willy's Dad) who told this story once on CFOX, Mike was doing mornings in Thunder Bay, and management decided he needed a funnyman sidekick to liven up the show. They put Willy and he together, which only lasted a few days before Mike basically said, "he goes, or I go". He was gone, Larry Henesy was brought over from another Thunder Bay station, and the rest is history. Of course, there may have been another Mike McCoy, but I just thought I'd share.
Donovan

Previous

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)