CKKS Vancouver - Ched Miller & Katie Rebak - 1994

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKKS Vancouver - Ched Miller & Katie Rebak - 1994

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:36 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

Fred (Latremouille) and Cathy (Baldazzi) were away until Valentine's Day but "Latre-mornings" continued on a Thursday morning in early February on Vancouver's 97 KISS FM.

Ched Miller and Katie Rebak (Bennison) were filling in and talking about Chinese Lunar New Year which was the Year of the Dog in 1994. Katie's mom, Wendy, called in with some of the positive aspects of the Year of the Dog -

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... ary-3-1994

Jack Marion had the news, Gary Raible reported on sports, Wayne Cox with the weather report and Jeff Palmer was on traffic watch.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKKS Vancouver - Ched Miller & Katie Rebak - 1994

Postby cart_machine » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 am

Nice to hear some long-time colleagues here.
"Paul" is a reference to Paul Baruzzi, who was the board op. He'd been one of Danny's ops on Sportstalk at CJOR.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:41 am

I’m pretty sure there’s enough of us who filled in on Fred’s vacation and sick days to start our own Facebook group.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 pm

This aircheck was less than a week after Ched Miller came over from weekend mornings on CFUN to take on the roll as the de-facto fill-in host for both Fred Latremouille and Jim Fraser (CKWX), as well as weekend mornings on Kiss-FM. Perhaps they paired him with Katie Rebac because of how the two names sounded together ("Ched and Katie for Fred and Cathy")? ;) Either way they made for an excellent fill-in team. After listening to this aircheck I'm reminded again of what a quick wit Katie had. The story of how she got the helicopter job is a prime example of it. Also trying to place her mother Wendy's accent - is it British or Kiwi? Katie was off to Halifax later that year to co-host the C-100 morning show where if memory serves she got into some hot water for making a controversial comment on the air about John Secada.? (I recall one morning Fred making an off-hand remark about her being Halifax's version of Howard Stern). I think Ched went back to CFUN sometime in 1995.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:02 am

Being aged with a failing memory, I can't remember controversial comments. However I worked with Katie at several places and she always had a good sense of humour.
I'll avoid commenting on her ability to talk as she does so on the aircheck in this thread.
I always like Ched's production and I think everyone remembers him as "your town pump." Vancouver always had great-sounding people you could listen to, and learn from.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)