July 28, 70 Years Ago

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

July 28, 70 Years Ago

Postby cart_machine » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:05 am

A pair of special NBC broadcasts takes up the bulk of Dick Diespecker’s radio column in the Province on this date 70 years ago.

CKWX was broadcasting Maisie. It had been a network show, but M-G-M Radio Attractions decided to syndicate it and seven other of its properties, spending $500,000 for a 26-week cycle. ‘WX picked up Maisie and another of the MGM shows, Dr. Kildare.

“Clipper Capers” on Channel 5 featured the duo of Stan Boreson and Art Barduhn, two comedy music fixtures in Seattle.

Diespecker decided to take some time off, so these little look-backs will come to an end.

Around Your Radio Dial
MARSHALL PLAN RESULTS

Eddie Cantor, recently back from a six-weeks European tour, will be the star of a two-part music-and-drama report on NBC to explain to the U.S. public some of the achievements of the Marshall Plan.
The programs, titled "Great Day" and "There's Gonna Be a Wedding," will be presented, respectively, Saturdays, Aug. 5 and 12. Tailor-made to two of Cantor’s biggest interests . . . good causes and discovery of new talent . . . the programs, tape-recorded in Paris will feature a distinguished group of top-ranking European artists, most of them hitherto unknown in this country.
"Nobody has any idea how many great voices and real entertainers there are in Europe," Cantor said. "I wanted to bring them all home with me and put them in front of the television cameras. But since the Marshall Plan has really begun to pay off there, a singer doesn't have to come to the United States for a chance, any more. They've got futures in their own countries, because their countries have a future now."
Among the artists who will appear on the first program (Aug. 5) are Clara Petrella, soprano of La Scala Opera, Milan, who will sing "Mi Chiamino Mimi" from Puccini's "La Boheme"; Sonja Osterman, a Dutch girl, who will sing "Daar Waar de Molens Staan" ("There Where the Windmill Stands"); Petros Petrides, one of Greece's most famous composers, who will conduct the first performance of a song, "Greek Sketch," composed expressly for this show; Henri Salvidor, French singing comedian, who will sing "C'est Si Bon" and trade quips with Cantor. Cantor himself will sing "Great Day" and "Margie."
Scheduled for the second broadcast (Aug. 12) are Vera Lynn, popular English singer, who will be heard in "Your Heart and My Heart," Bobbijan Schoeppan, singing cowboy from Belgium, who will sing "The Yodeling Whistler," Eric Sjoeberg, Danish opera star, who will sing "Leden Kirsten," Rosl Schwaiger, coloratura soprano of the Vienna State Opera, who will sing "Voices of Spring." Cantor's own solos will be "Whoopee" and "If You Knew Susie."
Before leaving Paris, Cantor arranged with the Economic Co-operation Administration to help him bring this group of Europe's top artists together for the two-part musico-dramatic report on the changes he found abroad.
"After all," said Cantor, "I'm an entertainer, not a professor. I can’t go to Congress and make a speech, and it's Mr. and Mrs. America who should hear about it, anyhow. Radio's the best way to talk to people, and that's why I wanted to make these broadcasts."
TONIGHT'S BEST BETS
6:00 p.m.—Sir Thomas Turns the Tables, CBR; Easy Listening, CJOR.
7:00 p.m.—Escape, KIRO; Treasury Show, KJR; Wanted, KOMO.
7:30 p.m.—The Top Six, KJR; Frank Sinatra, CKWX; Immigrants at Large, CBR.
8:30 p.m.—Maisie, CKWX; Dimension X, KOMO.
9:00 p.m.—Lacrosse, CKNW; Baseball, CKMO; Philo Vance, CJOR.
9:30 p.m.—Music for America, KOMO; Beat the Champs, CBR.
TELEVISION TONIGHT, KING-TV, Channel 5
6:00, Test Pattern; 7:15, Glamour Go Round; 7:30, Pinky Lee Show; 8:00, King's Queen; 8:30, We'll Take Your Word; 9:00, Clipper Capers; 9:30, Peoples' Platform; 10:00, Cavalcade of Sports.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to BC Radio History