Corus picks up Randy Bachman’s ‘Vinyl Tap’

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Corus picks up Randy Bachman’s ‘Vinyl Tap’

Postby radiofan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:15 pm

Randy Bachman’s ‘Vinyl Tap’ prepares to take another spin on syndicated radio
New syndicated version picked up by Corus Entertainment
THE CANADIAN PRESSFeb. 15, 2022 7:59 a.m.ENTERTAINMENT

TORONTO — Randy Bachman says his rock ‘n’ roll radio show hasn’t tapped out after all.

Less than a year after “Vinyl Tap” was cancelled by CBC Radio, the 78-year-old Winnipeg musician tells The Canadian Press he will relaunch the series March 6 on commercial radio airwaves.

A new syndicated version has been picked up by Corus Entertainment to broadcast on nearly a dozen of its rock stations across the country. Episodes will air Sundays in most markets, which include Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton and others.

It’s a win for Bachman who last year described being shocked by CBC’s decision to axe his series, citing lower ratings.

“Vinyl Tap” began on CBC in 2005 as a platform for Bachman to spin classic rock favourites while sharing his knowledge of music history and memories of life on the road. The final episode aired on Canada Day 2021.

“I had a 16-year audition and I passed it,” Bachman joked in an interview from his home in Victoria.

“It’s a very familiar groove…. I’m really happy and comfortable doing this show.”

“Vinyl Tap” will follow its familiar format, though frequent listeners may notice a few changes. One of the biggest is the introduction of commercial breaks into the two-hour runtime.

Bachman said broadcasters also want him to spend the first several episodes introducing himself to the new audience by recalling his own rise — from young violin player to a founding member of the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

After that, he promises to explore the roots of classic rock, jazz and the contemporary music they inspired.

“I’m playing it all — three, four or five decades of music,” he said.

Read more at: https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/enterta ... ted-radio/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News