Bell flips 10 stations across the country to MOVE Radio

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Bell flips 10 stations across the country to MOVE Radio

Postby radiofan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:14 am

MOVE RADIO DEBUTS ON 10 STATIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY

Bell Media has flipped 10 stations across Canada to AC "MOVE RADIO".
Surprising that they would kill some heritage brandings such as QM in Vancouver which has been on the scene since the 1960's. The stations affected are:

CILK 101.5 KELOWNA, BC (ex-EZ ROCK)
CJMG 97.1 PENTICTON, BC (ex-SUN FM)
CHQM 103.5 VANCOUVER, BC (ex-QMFM)
CIBX 106.9 FREDERICTON, NB (ex-CAPITAL FM)
CIOO 100.1 HALIFAX, NS (ex-C100)
CFJR 104.9 BROCKVILLE, ON (ex-JR FM)
CFLY 98.3 KINGSTON, ON (ex-FLY FM)
CJMJ 100.3 OTTAWA, ON (ex-MAJIC 100)
CKPT 99.7 PETERBOROUGH, ON (ex-ENERGY 99.7)
CHRE 105.7 ST. CATHARINES, ON (ex-EZ Rock)

MOVE RADIO (choose your station) WEBSITE:
https://www.iheartradio.ca/move

Thanks to Dan Sys at Canadian Radio News for sharing this. https://www.facebook.com/rwcrn

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Bell flips 10 stations across the country to MOVE Radio

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:55 pm

What the hell does MOVE Radio mean?
I can't think of a more lame branding change.
I also understand the long-time morning EZ Rock team in Kelowna will be toast with Andy wished well and TJ moving to afternoons.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby oldnewsie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:43 pm

How about E-Z Rock?
oldnewsie

Postby serrebi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:55 am

I'm just a lurker but here's my opinion anyways: It's terrible. IT's an illustration why I don't come back to FM. If you're gonna do a national name thing, it's been proven to not be so good of an idea, unless your market is jack fm's, who knows maybe I'm mistaken. I think the only way it works, and you get to keep your listeners, is forget about local product, and make your format actually awesome at least some of the time, and make all the stations play the same thing. Can we do that in north America? Otherwise you should just program a local station with the historic name for the marketing reasons. Ok back to being a lurker.
serrebi

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 pm

One wonders if there will be one national morning show in the future.
Hmmm?
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 am

We don't really know what the purpose of Move Fm is, do we ?

For example, Is it a brand re-set, a cost cutting measure, a "McDonald's hamburger" like nation wide radio programming, or something else hidden from view.

What is becoming increasingly clear to me is that the destiny of us Western Canadians, living in Western Canada, are increasingly being controlled by Easterners.

Easterners are programming our local radio stations, including our news and sports departments, taking our hard earned money from our local communities and putting it in their Ontario banks and siphoning all of the benefits of the locality to Toronto, and what is also clear is that politically, people in Ontario and Quebec are basically controlling us, as well.

For example, major decisions about the Covid 19 pandemic, such as who gets the vaccine first, who is screened before entering the country, etc., who gets government funding for anything, are being made by Eastern based politicians.

The solution is to build and support locally owned media controlled by "Westerners," that are not owned by Easterners.

And then, at least, we will not be forced to wake up in the morning and hear about Lisa Laflamme, cabinet ministers from Ontario who outrageously flaunt the Covid 19 travel restrictions, traffic accidents from the Don Valley Parkway and how the Maple Leafs did, last night ?

just saying.

a concerned radio broadcaster
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:53 pm

If you are unhappy with Easterners controlling the Canadian media you are really going to be unhappy when AT&T and Comcast does. The CRTC is planning on deregulating foreign ownership for Canadian media at the same time as they regulate the internet.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:08 pm

tuned wrote:If you are unhappy with Easterners controlling the Canadian media you are really going to be unhappy when AT&T and Comcast does. The CRTC is planning on deregulating foreign ownership for Canadian media at the same time as they regulate the internet.

Iam not "unhappy" about Americans. I happen to like them.

I welcome AT and T (and others) setting up shop in Canada and putting Shaw and Telus out of business ?

I have worked with Americans, in my various careers (including radio) and I have found them to be quite helpful over the years ? Americans have always taken a personal interest in me, while Canadians (and they know who they are) do not !

Regarding your speculative comment that the CRTC plans on deregulating foreign ownership of Canadian media, I say don't count your chickens before they hatch, bud ?

They've been saying that for years and years and yet, no cigar ?

if the buying of Canadian media was such a priority (for Americans), how come Trump and his cronies never brought it up (or enshrined it) during the recently ratified US-Canada-Mexico free-trade agreement.

Might drive the price of cell phone plans down, as well ? These plans are among the most expensive in the entire western world and perhaps some American
intervention would be very helpful.

But, like I said, don't hold your breath. It's obvious that the CRTC has been in the back pocket of the "eastern" multi-nationals for years.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:12 pm

WHAT!!! "MOVE" ha ha ha station slogan.... Music for METAMUCIL Takers......"Music for your Throne Room"
bigbry
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News