Wayne Stafford - GSM of CFUN - Passes at 76

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Wayne Stafford - GSM of CFUN - Passes at 76

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Sad to note the passing of CFUN's GSM, Wayne Stafford, today, at 76.

We called him, 'Moose'.

Condolences to Ken Stafford, and the entire Family. I also pass along my best wishes to my CFUN teammates that knew Wayne so well.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Wayne Stafford - GSM of CFUN - Passes at 76

Postby jon » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Wayne arrived at CFUN in 1974, after being General Sales Manager at CKRM in Regina for 2 years. Before that, he worked in Winnipeg and Yorkton for a combined total of 12 years, some of the time as a DJ.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Wayne Stafford - GSM of CFUN - Passes at 76

Postby Rob Collins » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Rest In Peace Wayne

What an honour and privilege it was working under Wayne’s leadership as GSM at 14CFUN.

Wayne and Retail Sales Manager Barry O’Donnell put together one of Radio’s most successful sales team and providing the necessary tools and skills required to continually set sales records year after year with those individuals.

Wayne was a broadcaster.
He understood the relationship between Station and client in recognizing that Sales Reps served 2 masters.
Getting Station rates and at the same time ensuring that the campaign placed on CFUN brought results to the client.

And, Wayne loved having fun.
And if you worked for Wayne, you too had fun.

His strong personality mixed with a gentle side provided a great sense that he knew the challenges faced by the sales team would be complex at times and that’s when you’d get a tap on the shoulder with an invite to go for a coffee or lunch and take time to refocus.

One day Wayne shared a story about his selling days that I still use to this day.

“Whenever you feel the pressure of life coming on too strong, go feed the ducks.”

Take time to look after yourself and go find a location, in a Mall, store, at the airport or even sitting in your car along the banks of the Fraser River and take a timeout. Get away from it for awhile.

Today, whenever the need arises to “feed the duck” , I fire up my motorcycle and go for a nice long ride.

Thanks Wayne, your suggestion back in the 80’s has become part of my walk of life.

There are millions of other great moments and stories about Wayne but, I’ll always remember him for the great broadcaster he was including seeing every one around him become successful.

Thanks Wayne for believing in this lad when you and Barry hired me that day at the Surrey Inn.

See you on the other side of life.

Your friend,

Rob Collins.
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News