WAB Announces 2019 Hall of Fame Inductees

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

WAB Announces 2019 Hall of Fame Inductees

Postby WAB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am

CALGARY, AB - The Western Association of Broadcasters announced today the two outstanding
individuals who have been selected as inductees into the 2019 WAB Hall of Fame - Boyd Kozak,
recently retired News Director at QX104 Winnipeg and Bob Ridley, Sports Director with CHAT
94.5 FM Medicine Hat. Both individuals represent stations under the Jim Pattison Broadcast
Group.

The WAB Hall of Fame is the most prestigious award given to a Canadian Broadcaster who has
demonstrated a commitment to the highest standards of broadcast excellence, community
service and shown extraordinary leadership throughout their distinguished careers.
“Our two inductees this year truly belong in the WAB Hall of Fame,” said John Vos, President of
the Western Association of Broadcasters. “Through the course of their respective careers both
Bob Ridley and Boyd Kozak have distinguished themselves, as broadcasters, community
advocates and mentors to the next generation of broadcasters. It will be a distinct pleasure to
recognize both at our annual Awards Gala in June.”

Boyd Kozak

"I feel very humbled by this honour, to be among so many of
Western Canada's Broadcasters who have been recognized!
Being a small-town prairie boy from Wadena, SK and having this
bestowed on me is unexpected and much appreciated."

- Boyd Kozak, 2019 WAB Hall of Fame Inductee

Boyd Kozak’s 59 years in radio were all spent in the private sector. He started his career right out
of high school in 1959 at CFSL-AM Weyburn, SK, quickly moving on to CHAB Radio & TV in Moose
Jaw, CFQC-AM Saskatoon and then CKRC-AM Winnipeg where he landed in 1963. He then joined
CFQX-FM in 1995 as news and community relations director. Boyd has been a DJ, a reporter,
producer, talk show host, blogger and a news director.

Boyd has interviewed The Four Seasons, Fats Domino, Johnny Rivers, Gerry and the Pacemakers,
the Guess Who and the Beatles... twice (1964 and 1965 in Toronto). He has also interviewed
Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, The Oak Ridge Boys, George Jones, Conway Twitty, and many more.

He has both participated in, and championed hundreds of fundraising endeavours. Boyd’s
“Community Counts” is both an on-air and on-line success, and his station community blog was
one of Manitoba’s most well-read. He continued as News Director and morning newsreader for
QX104 (CFQX-FM) until 2018 when he announced his well-deserved retirement. Boyd's work
ethic, love for his community, co-workers and life have been an inspiration to all who have worked
with or known him.

Bob Ridley

"When I began my broadcast career more than 50 years ago I
never dreamed I would receive such a prestigious award. Truly
an honour to be sure and I have to thank my family and CHAT
Radio & TV for giving me that opportunity many years ago."

- Bob Ridley, 2019 WAB Hall of Fame Inductee

Bob Ridley just passed a landmark 55 years in broadcasting. Born in Vulcan, Alberta, Bob grew
up on a farm in the Morrin area. Given a choice between farming and his aspirations for a
broadcast career, he chose the latter.

Bob started his broadcast career by working part-time on the weekends at CJDV Drumheller while
attending Mount Royal College. Upon graduation he got his first full-time job shortly thereafter
at CKSW in Swift Current as a disc jockey and hockey and baseball play-by play voice. In 1966 he
moved to CKKR Rosetown before moving on to CHAT in Medicine Hat as Sports Director in April
of 1968.

Bob has been the voice of the WHL Medicine Hat Tigers Hockey Club since they came to town in
1970. In 49 years as the play-by-play announcer of the Tigers, he has only missed one game. Less
known are Bob’s relationships within CHAT Radio and Television, where he has mentored scores
of young sportscasters over the years, lending his experience and knowledge to improve the
performance of many of them and contribute to their success in the industry. His commitment,
excellence and dependability are an example to all who work with him. As the Tigers approach
their 50th anniversary season in 2020, Bob figures he might have at least one more year in him.

The induction ceremony for Boyd Kozak and Bob Ridley will take place Thursday, June 6, 2019 at
the WAB President’s Dinner & Awards Gala at the Fairmont Banff Springs. The WAB Leader of
Tomorrow Award as well as the Gold Medal Awards for Community Service and Digital Innovation
will also be presented that evening. Tickets are available to be purchased by visiting
https://www.wab.ca/extra-ticket-2019
WAB

Return to General Radio News