World Radio Day

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

World Radio Day

Postby paterson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Today February 13 2019 is the 8th edition of the UNESCO World Radio Day. The day is meant to celebrate radio around the world and how the medium can inform, transform and unite people. This year's theme is dialogue, tolerance and peace. So all the best to everyone on RadioWest, on this 8th annual World Radio Day!
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: World Radio Day

Postby pave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

I do, however, have to wonder:
What is it, specifically, that we are supposed to be celebrating...?
pave
Advanced Member

Re: World Radio Day

Postby paterson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm

From what I understand it is a bigger deal overseas than in North America. World Radio Day is used as a way to highlight radio's potential to educate people by providing information, ability to unite people and promote freedom of expression across different cultures. Shortwave is much more popular in most other countries so this could be why it is has a higher profile in many countries outside of North America. Also World Radio Day recognizes radio's past role in times of peace and war. Every year there is a different theme.

National Radio Day is recognized in the US every August 20th, and I did post about this last year on that date. Not aware of anything similar in Canada though. It would be kind of neat to have something like that here. Logical date would likely be the same as US, just to see if there is any interest or traction.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News