As Jerry Would Say- "What's the Deal with That.."

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

As Jerry Would Say- "What's the Deal with That.."

Postby paterson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am

I have noticed a trend on a few major and mid market radio stations (Corus) that up until recently was a no-no. This would be going from a song directly to commercials with no talking at all from the announcer. I am not talking late night but mid morning and afternoon drive.

First noticed this on Q107 Toronto last summer, and now seems to be happening on a few other contemporary music stations. This was fairly common on MOR radio years ago or small town full service radio, but never on music oriented stations. Maybe the only exception would be album rock or underground stations late 60's early 70's.

Anyway to my ears it sounds sloppy and kind of confusing when all of a sudden an ad for Leon's or a car dealership comes out of the blue as a song is beginning to fade.

I thought at first it was a one off, but it is happening regularly now on more Corus stations. This smells like something a no nothing consultant would come up with!

Anyone else notice this at all?
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: As Jerry Would Say- "What's the Deal with That.."

Postby paterson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:53 am

Guess no nothing would be know...got to proof read a little better!! :pottytrain2:
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Almost everyone does it to some degree now. Corus is odd though, in that they'll do it without any kind of station ID. Everyone else either has a promo, station ID, or "More music on the way" sweeper.

It makes sense in that it eliminates the longest stretch in the clock without music -- announcer break into commercials. Important in PPM. There's really no downside unless a station has used it as an excuse to eliminate longer announcer breaks altogether, with everything being a sweep.

It really only sounds weird to radio people, I'd bet.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Yes I wasn't really referring to a station promo, jingle or similar into commercials but rolling into commercials out of a song. I was also talking about daytime shifts and not late evening where many stations are not even voice tracked.

One of the main strengths of radio has always been personality. Radio is making mistake in my opinion when you attempt to limit personalities or take away what few announcer breaks are left in a typical hour (mornings excepted).

I can't see this making any difference at all with the PPM, the audience isn't that fragile. An announcer break out of a music set is normally short and a great opportunity for the announcer/ station to update the audience on anything of note, or simply a quick phoner or what is coming up. And best of all it is live, and another opportunity to connect to the audience.

Some of the rolling breaks I have heard sound amateurish to the point that even the first second or two of the commercial has been buried by the song. Makegood?

I give the audience some credit that they will notice sloppy, self serving or lazy programming changes. It also is not serving the advertiser well.

We only need to go back to around 1983 when 1050 chum adopted a more rolling format with limited announcer breaks, occasionally songs into commercials. CFTR was the exact opposite with personality plus, few music sweeps, and the station was engaged with the audience.

I think we all know how that turned out.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:32 pm

The suits have finally figured out that we're not interested in some lame dj spewing out what they did last night. NOT interesting.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:33 pm

We all oughta be ashamed of ourselves, what with our expecting reason and critical thinking to kick in with these audience and advertiser-killing clowns.
Here, again, is the psych-line I have to trot out wayyy too often:
"People tend to find out what doesn't work - and then, do it harder."
It is to weep, although that doesn't help either.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 pm

I agree Just Sayin' to hear a jock talk endlessly about their personal life or what the Kardashians or Beiber is up to is like having a cupcake for lunch. Empty calories and empty talk. I do temper this with who the target audience is, but especially in mornings, some gabfest breaks are way too long. And what some hosts are talking at length about is not that important or interesting or has already been covered at length on other media. It is always better to be local and try to speak about issues that would impact the local audience. If there is nothing... easy, just be brief. Most important is to have some humour and fun.

Often small or medium sized market hosts are more proficient at real content that relates to the audience. This could be since they are better known in the community. The host is more of a local personality and has actually met many of their listeners/advertisers. I know I am generalizing and naturally there are exceptions.

Getting back to the original thread this was about the trend of some music stations rolling from a song directly into commercials. Sounds less professional and lazy with commercials coming out of nowhere and poorer service from the station and host. This is not the best for advertisers, especially the first spot in the cluster.

Sort of like when your newspaper or flyers were always delivered on the front steps or mailbox. But lately you are finding flyers or the paper at the end of the driveway, or on the boulevard, in a puddle or neighbours front lawn. Yes, you are still getting everything you were before, but it is now with less service lower quality.

Anyway just my take on this.

Thanks for your thoughts Aaron, pave and Just Sayin'.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News