Anyone Have Information on Seacoast Sound?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Anyone Have Information on Seacoast Sound?

Postby paterson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in radio sales, clients would inquire about a jingle for their company. In my opinion the best commercial jingle company was out of Victoria B. C.- Seacoast Sound.

I understand that they were a division of CFAX radio in Victoria and started up in 1979. I believe they closed down around 2007 when CFAX was acquired by the CHUM group. At it's peak Seacoast had 12 writers and six sales reps who sold jingles for the company all over North America, even jingles in Europe and Japan.

Around 1990 a sales rep from Seacoast came to our weekly sales meeting when I was at CKNX radio in Wingham. We were one of Seacoasts better customers in smaller markets and I was absolutely blown away by their demo tape. Seacoast produced original jingles for all of the big advertisers at the time- The Bay, Eaton's, Sears, Bootlegger, Thrifty's, various shopping malls across Canada. Jingles for various towns (Wainwright Alberta), downtown BIA groups, government ads etc. They even produced much of the thematic music for the opening and closing of the Calgary Olympics. Also on their demo tape jingles in French, Japanese and Spanish.

Don't know if they ever produced any call letter jingles for radio stations, I am not aware of any. Seacoast Sound product was first rate, I did have a short demo tape of some of their product, and if I ever find it, I will try to post here.

Anyway does anyone know what exactly happened to them? There is a Seacoast Sound that does come up on google but it seems to be a DJ and sound equipment company based in Vancouver, I am thinking this has nothing to do with the original company.
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: Anyone Have Information on Seacoast Sound?

Postby jon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:13 pm

paterson wrote:Anyway does anyone know what exactly happened to them? There is a Seacoast Sound that does come up on google but it seems to be a DJ and sound equipment company based in Vancouver, I am thinking this has nothing to do with the original company.

"On January 26, 2004 CHUM Limited announced it had agreed to purchase the assets of Seacoast Communications, which owns and operates Victoria radio stations C-FAX AM and CHBE-FM (previously CFEX-FM) for a purchase price of $7.5 million and the assets of Seacoast’s music production operation, Seacoast Sound, for a purchase price of $500,000." - Gord Lansdell, 2005.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks Jon. It is a shame that the CHUM Group eventually closed down Seacoast, they were a dynamite jingle company with first rate writers, musicians and production. Maybe the business had slid since that part of the company only sold for $500,000.

I remember their jingles were quite affordable for smaller advertisers, and all of their product had a quality major market sound. I will see if I still have the demo tape and try to figure out how to post. Thanks again Jon.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 am

ABSOLUTELY!
I moved to Victoria in 1981 to work for the brilliant Mel Cooper in his new CFAX Radio facilities on Broughton street.
He had the foresight to open an aggressive jingle production company up on the second floor.

At that time, before it was called Seacoast Sound, the original name was: Bruce Innes Music.
He, of The Original Cast One Tin Soldier fame.

Dixie Lee Innes, vocalist on that same hit, was a frequent beer-after-work attendee.

I remember a gruff bearded guy, Dennis, or, Fergie, or something (name escapes me). What a powerhouse singer!

What a dynamic group of versatile musicians they had!
I distinctly recall hanging around in the studio after they went home and jamming the Inna-godda-da-vida drum solo in there...

Mel had a roving team that included Barry Clark who would travel to every little market in North America and they basically had generic music beds.
They could easily drop in the new town's car dealer's name back in Victoria, as soon as Barry had the ink dry on the contract.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 am

Fancy that! An Original Caste connection to Mel Cooper and Seacoast. Did CFAX ever use Mr. Monday as a start-the-work-week bumper to invigorate listeners?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:20 am

When I went to CFAX for a job interview in the early 2000s, I was given a tour of the building which included the Seacoast Sound control room and studio.
The classic Neve board was long gone, they'd sold all the modules from it and had replaced it with something newer, I can't remember what but it was nothing like the Neve.
They still had some great mics and reel to reels.
The AM studios and equipment were pretty much crap then, they'd put the money into the FM operations.
They were still using carts!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby devans » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:35 am

paterson wrote:Don't know if they ever produced any call letter jingles for radio stations, I am not aware of any. Seacoast Sound product was first rate, I did have a short demo tape of some of their product, and if I ever find it, I will try to post here.

Any luck finding demo tape?
devans
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Maybe Bruce Innes can help you?

cbruceinnes@gmail.com

P.O. Box 1363

Sun Valley, ID 83353

OR:

wjinnes@gmail.com

​http://theoriginalcaste.com/
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

devans wrote:
paterson wrote:Don't know if they ever produced any call letter jingles for radio stations, I am not aware of any. Seacoast Sound product was first rate, I did have a short demo tape of some of their product, and if I ever find it, I will try to post here.

Hi Devans, haven't found it, but I know it is likely somewhere in some old boxes in the basement. I will check and see if I can track down the demo. Thanks for asking, Seacoast did a lot of great jingle work back in the 80's and 90's.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby devans » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:31 am

paterson wrote:
devans wrote:

Hi Devans, haven't found it, but I know it is likely somewhere in some old boxes in the basement. I will check and see if I can track down the demo. Thanks for asking, Seacoast did a lot of great jingle work back in the 80's and 90's.

Are you familiar with Parker Johnston Industries old jingle from 90's? It featured music playing in the background with voice over saying "Parker Johnston since 1950". I heard quite often on CFAX 1070 Victoria.

No idea if Seacoast produced it or not. Tried asking around in hopes of finding it without any luck.
devans
Advanced Member

Postby devans » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:14 am

devans wrote:
paterson wrote:
devans wrote:[quote="paterson"

Are you familiar with Parker Johnston Industries old jingle from 90's? It featured music playing in the background with voice over saying "Parker Johnston since 1950". I heard quite often on CFAX 1070 Victoria.

No idea if Seacoast produced it or not. Tried asking around in hopes of finding it without any luck.

Turns out Seacoast did produce the Parker Johnston jingle.
devans
Advanced Member

Postby Marcpatterson » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:12 am

I seem to recall that sea coast sound did Woodward’s Jingle
Woodward’s has it all
Sung by an up and comer.....Bryan Adams
Marcpatterson

Postby don'tpanic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:36 pm

Seacoast produced some station ID's for CHNL (Radio NL) Kamloops back in the early 80's. Not their best work, to be honest.
don'tpanic

Postby RadioDon11 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am

Dont Panic is right.. The stuff we had at NL in the 83-85 time I was there, wasnt that great
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:32 pm

don'tpanic wrote:Seacoast produced some station ID's for CHNL (Radio NL) Kamloops back in the early 80's. Not their best work, to be honest.

RadioDon11 wrote:Dont Panic is right.. The stuff we had at NL in the 83-85 time I was there, wasnt that great

Either of you fellas got tape you could share? Jingles and/or airchecks?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Radio News