National Radio Day

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

National Radio Day

Postby paterson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm

August 20th is National Radio Day in the US. Anyone know is there anything similar in Canada? February 13th is World Radio Day which all UNESCO member countries observe but I am not aware of anything in Canada specifically. Either way HAPPY NATIONAL RADIO DAY!!

For all of it's faults, downsizing and changes, I wouldn't trade one minute of my 16 years on air and in radio sales. Loved all of it, and I am proud to have worked in such an interesting business full of great people and unique characters. I guess it is a bit idealistic but I always felt it was a privilege to be on the air or working on advertising campaigns for customers.

Always enjoyed meeting listeners when hosting events or on remote. You never know who is listening to you and even now once or twice per year I meet someone who actually remembers me from my announcing days which ended about 25 years ago.

Anyway if there is a National Radio Day in Canada, I would sure like to hear more about it.
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: National Radio Day

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Trust there are many more "radio vets" sharing your sentiments, Paterson. Well written, well put.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am

It warmed my ol radio heart to see vets post the string of stations that we either worked at or..survived..lol ...for some of us, this crazy biz dragged us across the country...and for that... Thank you.. "What a long strange trip its been".....
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:10 pm

I was lucky to work in a business, where a lot of the staff I worked with, became as close as Family. That being said = I was used to moving, being a Naval Officer' son....so - it wasn't for everyone.

I hope YOU had a good experience.

*Oh, yeah, I had some real beauties...one station in Vancouver and one in Halifax, were unmitigated disasters.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 pm

The "moving a lot" aspect of Radio had a positive effect: you could become close friends with your fellow employees in weeks, rather than years. At least, that was my experience.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News