Corus Entertainment anticipates dark days ahead.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Corus Entertainment anticipates dark days ahead.

Postby kal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 am

Bad day for Corus Entertainment shares as dividend slashed.

The company could have reported a small profit but instead opted to take an impairment charge to reflect diminished future earnings.

"Corus chief executive Doug Murphy told analysts that the company has a long-term strategy for rebuilding its business in turbulent times, amid intense competition, changing technologies and an uncertain regulatory landscape."

http://business.financialpost.com/telecom/media/corus-entertainment-reports-third-quarter-loss-on-impairment-charge
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Corus Entertainment anticipates dark days ahead.

Postby jon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Another article, in BNN Bloomberg, indicates that Corus recently reviewed their Broadcast Licenses for both Radio and Television. And came to the conclusion that they were overvalued by more than one Billion dollars.

While it might sound like a better idea to not do the review before Shaw's potential Sale of Corus this Fall, any potential buyer would surely demand such a review.

The Billion was taken as a "paper loss". Be interesting to know how much of a hit that turns into for each Corus Share's Book Value. And, even more interesting, the Before and After book value of CKNW or CHED.

Which all goes back to what I said earlier about the insane prices paid for Radio (and I assume TV) stations that really took off in the late 1990s as today's largest owners grew dramatically.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:39 pm

This cbc piece covers the share value.. a well written piece too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/corus-e ... -1.4724352
PMC

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 am

If I heard the radio news item correctly, the big drag on Corus is the almost $2.5 Billion in extra debt taken on to purchase assets from Shaw. Hardly an arms-length transaction. B
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 am

I am reminded of the old adage that was pervasive in the Calgary real estate market:
"Last one holding - loses."
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News