Finding an HD Radio in Canada

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: Finding an HD Radio in Canada

Postby pieinthesky » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Bought the SARC SHD-T750 (http://www.myhdradio.ca/product/t750/) and tried to tune in 1160. Since 1150 KSEN from Shelby Montana was there I wasn't able to get a lock on KSL. I might try later in the night to see if it comes in but I'm not holding my breath.
610 KOJM flashes the HD logo but no lock yet.
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 pm

I have since been able to get 1190 Seattle and 1380 Everett strongly enough here in Edmonton to briefly display the HD information, but neither ever "locked in" in terms of delivering any digital audio to the speaker on my radio.

Neither 1520 Snohomish nor 1530 Sacramento would even display. Based on pie's comments, I have to wonder if them being side-by-side both running IBOC did not confuse the radio.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pieinthesky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 pm

I received a nice lock of KSL radio tonight. It was for a few seconds and I was able to make a short video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGZwD5ZcjJU
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Might be a continuation of the great conditions I found at 1:00 a.m. this morning. Stations from the South were coming in, with poor enough conditions to the Southwest that West Coast stations were not that strong.

I, too, was able to get several good IBOC locks on KSL as they played music for a change: a full Tom Jones song before a feature length live interview with him (it was 9am in England).

The real thrill for me was on the analogue side, with WBAP-820 in Fort Worth strong and above everything else for the first time in nearly 15 years, complete with Legal ID at 1:00 a.m. The CBS News was airing on 1080, which almost certainly gives me my first KRLD Dallas reception since DX'ing in Burnaby around 1970. 1200 Vancouver could be nulled out enough to catch what was likely WOAI in San Antonio, which used to be a regular in here before Vancouver got the frequency.

Still nothing IBOC on the FM band here from either of the Corus FMs. Or anyone else, for that matter.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 am

http://www.myhdradio.ca/ just contacted me and we now have our own 10% discount code on their site. During Checkout, enter "radiowest" beside the APPLY COUPON button then click the button.

Two things: there is no discount on Clearance items (coupon code will display as invalid) and we don't get a commission on sales.

Since this thread started, they now offer the SHD-ITR2BT.

Although more expensive than anything offered there, there is a lot of interest in another new HD radio lately. The new Sangean HDR-18 is a bit hard to find on amazon.ca, but it is $199.99 with free shipping here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

It is too early to tell, but the latest review by broadcast engineer Jay Allen indicates it just might beat out his best rated portable radio for AM and FM reception. With the added bonus of solid HD reception on AM and FM:
https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-hdr-1 ... top-radio/
A couple of us here on radiowest.ca have put our money where our mouth is and bought the new Sangean. And are really impressed.

On the other hand, just before the Sangean, I finally got consistent reliable HD reception on an AM station with the SPARC SHD-TX2 here in Edmonton. From 1090 in Seattle. Just happened to be one of those nights when XEPRS was weaker than usual. Apparently, they are normally strong enough to disrupt the HD reception from Seattle.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:20 am

I can vouch for myhdradio.ca. I purchased an Audiovox iHD-P01A using a coupon posted on the NewsTalk 770 web site, last February/March. The radio arrived quickly upon online payment and the coupon discount was applied without any hassles.

It's an FM-only tuner but has great reception compared to my other portable radios. The only feature I'm missing is an equalizer or even a couple of bass and tone/treble controls.

So far, only CKRY-FM 105.1 has HD services with HD-1 providing Country 105 and HD-2 providing NewsTalk 770.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News