CRTC Renews Some CBC Radio Licenses

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CRTC Renews Some CBC Radio Licenses

Postby jon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Among other CBC stations whose licenses were renewed today were two sets from around here, for CFYK and CHFA.
CFYK-FM Yellowknife and its transmitters CBQZ-FM Fort Chipewyan, CBDI Fort Smith, CBDJ-FM Hay River, CBDY-FM Fort Simpson, CBQB-FM Rae-Edzo, CBAU-FM Fort Providence, CBQD-FM Fort Resolution, CBQG Wrigley and CBQO-FM Deline (Fort Franklin), Northwest Territories

CHFA-10-FM Edmonton and its transmitters CBRF-FM Calgary, CHFA-1-FM Lethbridge, CHFA-2-FM Red Deer, CHFA-3-FM Peace River, CHFA-4-FM Hinton, CHFA-5-FM Grande Prairie, CHFA-6-FM Fort McMurray, CHFA-7-FM Falher, CHFA-8-FM Medicine Hat and CHFA-9-FM St. Paul, Alberta

These are all Mono, as CFYK is CBC Radio One and CHFA is the French equivalent.

Interesting to see what I believe are the same set of LPRT locations as when I was at CFYK. We also fed Uranium City, Saskatchewan and Fort Chipewyan, Alberta, which are now fed from CBK-540 Watrous and CBX-740 Edmonton, respectively. Despite all these years of FM conversions by the CBC, it is interesting to see that Fort Smith and Wrigley are still on AM.

The CHFA call letters tell a story of their own. Not quite sure how the Calgary repeater became CBRF-FM, but CHFA-9-FM St. Paul is quite new, set up to replace the AM signal received in the St. Paul area from Edmonton. The master station is CHFA-10-FM which must have been renamed, as CHFA-AM did have a nested FM repeater in Edmonton, but did a frequency swap with the other CBC French network station here, to get its 100KW signal.

Last time I checked what had been the CHFA-AM transmitter site just South of here has not yet been developed, though it was sold by the CBC to Developers within days of CHFA-680 going off the air. Within three days, the towers were already down. Sale price was about $12 million.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CRTC Renews Some CBC Radio Licenses

Postby Casey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 am

Despite all these years of FM conversions by the CBC, it is interesting to see that Fort Smith and Wrigley are still on AM.

Most likely FM does not provide as good coverage as AM.

I worked on the tech side for CBC in northern Manitoba in the late '60s. It was amazing the daytime coverage we had from some of our 40 watt LPRT transmitters, using inverted "L" antennae. We had a good ground in most locations which likely helped a lot.
. . KC Crowston . .
Casey

Return to General Radio News