Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:41 am

Former CBC Radio host surrenders to police, faces 5 charges
CBC News Posted: Nov 26, 2014 10:41 AM ET Last Updated: Nov 26, 2014 11:30 AM ET

Former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has been charged in a sexual assault investigation, Toronto police say.

Ghomeshi, 47, faces five charges under the Criminal Code:

Four counts of sexual assault.
One charge of "overcome resistance — choking."

Ghomeshi surrendered to police on Wednesday morning. He is scheduled to appear in court in the afternoon.

Read the full story at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jian-ghom ... -1.2850661
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Mr. Ghomeshi even made headlines in Europe and the States.

The whole sordid affair is putting a spotlight on treatment of women in the workplace.

Long overdue.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Judge orders this 47 year old man-child to pay $100,000 bail, surrender his passport and live with Mommy until his January 8th court appearance.

Maximum penalty for "overcoming resistance by chocking" is life in prison.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm

I wonder how much enjoyment he got out of being in hand cuffs today?
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:22 pm

This is really not a mess that I see any humour it, whatever.

The women were very brave to come forward.

This whole story gives me the creeps.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 am

NO NO, Jian...I said, "Choke the CHICK-EN"
bigbry
Advanced Member

CBC: Fifth Estate episode on Jian Ghomeshi

Postby jon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 am

CBC insiders to tell ‘what really happened’ with Jian Ghomeshi on The Fifth Estate
By The Canadian Press
November 26, 2014

TORONTO — CBC is promising to tell the story of “what really happened” with Jian Ghomeshi in an upcoming episode of The Fifth Estate.

The investigative program is set to run an hour-long documentary on the disgraced Q radio host Friday, titled ‘The Unmaking of Jian Ghomeshi.’

In a preview, Ghomeshi is described as “the breakout success the CBC needed,” but says that even as he became ubiquitous on TV, radio and at awards galas, there were “whispers and allegations.”

The 47-year-old former CBC star was released on $100,000 bail Wednesday after he was arrested on sex assault charges. His lawyer Marie Henein said he will plead not guilty and will not make any statements to the media.

The Fifth Estate has been investigating why Ghomeshi seemed “untouchable” for years and whether people were blinded by his stardom, the episode preview says.

The program is CBC’s flagship newsmagazine series and has previously run exposes on scandal-plagued public figures including former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and Senator Mike Duffy.

Ghomeshi was fired by CBC on Oct. 26 after the public broadcaster said it had seen “graphic evidence” that he had physically injured a woman.

Since his dismissal, nine women have come forward with allegations that Ghomeshi sexually or physically assaulted them. Three of them filed police complaints.

Ghomeshi has admitted that he engaged in “rough sex” but insisted his encounters with women were consensual.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 am

Since he's been criminally charged it seems highly inappropriate to air their "version" of events until after the trial.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 am

Not sure I want my tax $$ to pay the CBC legal fees that will come in the ensuing lawsuit.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm

jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Spoiler alert: what CBC's fifth estate will reveal in Jian Ghomeshi investigation
by Charlie Smith on Nov 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm
straight.com

Here on the West Coast, we see network television shows later than Canadians who are already in the dark back east.

So it will be several hours before Vancouverites will be huddled around their TV sets to watch the fifth estate's review of management's handling of former CBC broadcaster Jian Ghomeshi.

The CBC, however, has provided a preview on its website of the results of the show's investigation.

Apparently, some CBC managers knew last June about allegations that Ghomeshi had punched and choked women, according to the fifth estate.

In addition, the fifth estate reported that CBC managers did not contact most "known staffers" on the radio show Q, which Ghomeshi hosted, during an internal probe earlier this year.

The head of CBC Radio, Chris Boyce, told the program that Ghomeshi was never "given the choice to walk away", as the former broadcaster had claimed in his famous Facebook post. Ghomeshi has since deleted his social-media accounts.

Boyce's comment prompted media critic Jesse Brown to tweet: "Hmm. If CBC never gave Ghomeshi a chance to walk away quietly as he claims, why did they immediately deny he'd been fired when I reported it?"

In May, Boyce met with Ghomeshi, who alleged at the time that an ex-girlfriend was threatening to go public with details about their sex life.

"He looked into my eyes and he said, 'I have never crossed any ethical or legal line'," Boyce recalled in an interview with fifth estate correspondent Gillian Findlay.

The fifth estate also revealed that two Q staffers went to their boss after reading a Twitter account with disturbing allegations about Ghomeshi. That reportedly led to "an emergency meeting" on Canada Day involving Boyce and Todd Spencer, the corporation's head of human resources.

A subsequent CBC investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing or workplace harassment.

Ghomeshi was fired in October and on November 26, he was charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking a person to overcome resistance. The latter count has a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

The former broadcaster has been released from custody after his mother posted $100,000 in bail. Ghomeshi's next court appearance is on January 8.

He plans on entering a plea of not guilty, which means his accusers could face a brutal cross-examination in court.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:41 am

I have to say I enjoyed the Ghomeshi 5th Eastate. Just watching Chris Boyce squirm reminded me of trying to put a shoe on a toddler. One thing though, they really should have waited til after the court case to give us the complete story.
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:07 pm

The CBC suits came off as "deer in the headlights", and there is going to be a lot of deck shuffling at CBC, as this story develops.

Ghomeshi was taking down a quick $500 K a year.

There's your tax bucks at work.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:50 pm

If he made that kind of money, why is his mother paying his $100,000 bail?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:22 pm

He lived fast?

Nice Yorkeville Pad - place in the Muskokas. Living on American Express? Who knows.

Maybe liked marching to a Bolivian Band.....or is into expensive toys, vacations....whatever.
:groovy:
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Radio News