Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: Jian Ghomeshi charged in sexual assault investigation

Postby jon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

GENERAL: In an opinion piece printed in the Guelph Mercury, Luisa D’Amato said CBC disregarded the rules of fair play in its coverage of Jian Ghomeshi. She argued that CBC threw “journalistic ethics and the integrity of the legal system down the toilet” by promising a juicy insider account of "what really happened"; this during its on-air promotions leading up to the Fifth Estate’s airing of “The Unmaking of Jian Ghomeshi” last Friday,. The show's producers, she wrote, were probably thrilled with themselves but they forgot that in this country once a matter is before the courts it is considered highly inappropriate, and sometimes illegal, to disseminate information from outside the courtroom that links an accused person to a crime. D’Amato bolstered her stance with this quote from of the Canadian Press Stylebook: "Every person charged and before the courts is entitled to be presumed innocent and to receive a fair trial. It is forbidden to publish anything that passes judgment on an accused or that could hinder a fair trial unless it has been admitted in court as evidence"...
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:48 pm

That's what I said when they announced their plans. You can bet that Ghomeshi's defence team will use the Fifth Estate broadcast to their advantage. It was ill advised and another sign that the CBC is poorly managed.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 pm

I think the lawyers for the TV Network must have had a cow, when they saw the show. Didn't anyone run this by the legal eagles, first?

SLOPPY, or just plain lousy at your job?

I find it galling that nearly 5,000 media jobs have been hacked and we are left with maroons who can't run a lemonade stand, much less something as bucks intensive as a Media Chain.

Someone will go down with this ship. Count on it. What a JOKE.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

I would love to hear Rex Murphy's take on this one.
But then, given the twitchy fingers over to The Ministry of Truth, he might risk being "Rutherforded".
pave
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News