Auto Dealers turning away from radio

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Auto Dealers turning away from radio

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 am

From All Access

Borrell's 'Annual Automotive Outlook' Has Bad News For Radio
November 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM (PT)

Once upon a time, radio salespeople fought over lucrative car dealer accounts. BORRELL has released their new, "Annual Automotive Outlook," which shows how much that has changed.

"If any single ad category were responsible for reshaping the face of local media, it would be automotive," writes BORRELL. "For decades, car and truck ads have swollen newspapers, screamed from radio stations and transformed local car dealers into TV celebrities.

"No more. This year, for the first time, more than half of those life-sustaining dollars will be spent on digital media. The local newspaper’s auto advertising bonanza is long gone. Radio’s has only recently disappeared. Local TV stations may be next on the chopping block.

- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... 3wxGa.dpuf
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Auto Dealers turning away from radio

Postby pave » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:55 am

The, I believe, legitimate argument that digital is a lousy advertising medium anyway will likely go on for some time.

Meanwhile, radio continues to shoot itself in the mouth by only supplying horrendous "yell & sell, buy or die" spots to the auto dealers.

I realise this is partially at the insistence of the dealers themselves. But, I also know the stations are more than willing to accept and produce spots of that nature because they are cheap, quick & easy to produces and are on the path of least resistance.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News