Jian Ghomeshi Sues CBC for $50 million Over His Departure

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: Jian Ghomeshi Sues CBC for $50 million Over His Departur

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:59 pm

This will be a "Movie of the Week" - there are so many layers to the story.

I say we wait until we hear all the facts before we jump to conclusions.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 pm

I thought the show 22 Minutes said it right... the CBC budget was cut, they don't have 50 Million :lol:
PMC

Postby retireddxer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Now that Canadian actress Lucy DeCoutere has come forward with her experiences with Jian, I think it is all over him except the waiting to find out how much jail time he'll do.

In 2003, she alleged Mr. Ghomeshi slapped and choked her without warning after taking her to his Riverdale home.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/29 ... apartment/
retireddxer

Postby Dave L » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 am

retireddxer wrote:Now that Canadian actress Lucy DeCoutere has come forward with her experiences with Jian, I think it is all over him except the waiting to find out how much jail time he'll do.

Lucy DeCoutere's account is believable for several reasons. Her incident with Ghomeshi may or may not have risen to criminal standards, but she makes no bones about the consent issue and the degree of aggression. She's every bit as much a celebrity as Ghomeshi, an officer in the air force and makes no claim for compensation. Hence a publicity stunt on her part just doesn't add up.

From the bits an pieces of the other girls coming forward, there seems to be a pattern of workplace harassment and influence peddling. The CBC appeared privy to Ghomeshi's actions long before the issue came to light, yet swept it under the rug instead.

It doesn't bode well for either party. At the very least, I doubt the taxpayers of this land will be forking over the 50 million.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:28 am

The key remaining piece of the puzzle, which may well be the next major step in this seemingly endlessly unfolding story, is an official announcement of an on-going police investigation, whether it be OPP or RCMP.

Confirmation by Police of an official investigation can be a long time coming when they involve high profile individuals, as we saw with Rob Ford.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 am

Even if the guy (Ghomeshi) was slapping people around and banging sheep on the side, he was and is still the only plaintiff. No charges have been laid against him to this point.

CBC just set themselves (and us) up to blow a wadd of cash in reparations because they canned him on allegations.

If this goes through to the CBC's satisfaction, any corporation could do just that - ruin somebody's life, career and potentials just by firing on hearsay, rumours and allegations or by cooking up a fat, juicy story.

I have to get back to the ranch. The livestock are getting jealous.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:14 am

pave wrote:No charges have been laid against him to this point.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My previous post tried to make the point that "The Long Arm of the Law" often takes a while in situations where high profile individuals are involved.

I'd say odds are high that we'll see a police investigation announced within the next six months. Chances that some sort of assault charges will be laid against Jiam are more likely than not, I would guess, but that may take a year or longer.

Lawsuits are a different matter. That's anyone's guess at this point, in terms of outcome.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm

The judicial system is where this belongs. The women have made some serious allegations that need to be tested in a court of law not the court of public opinion. In some cases even if the women consented it may not absolve him of criminal wrongdoing. It is possible that the allegations are exaggerated and that he may be guilty of nothing more than being a cad. For some women the allure of being with someone rich and famous is strong enough that they will compromise themselves, especially if led to believe that a serious relationship or even marriage was a possibility. When the women realize after the fact that this isn't likely they might become angry or even vindictive. The fact that none of the women have reported the alleged assaults to the police and have gone to the media instead makes me thing that retribution is their objective. In that regard they have succeeded.
If in fact he is a violent, sexual predator it is even more troubling that none of the victims reported him to police.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:10 pm

The last couple of jobs I've had - one union and one non-union - I was required to sign an agreement that I would refrain from any actions that could negatively impact the reputation of my employer. It was made clear that this agreement covered 'on the job' time and personal time.

I'm guessing the CBC has something similar.

The question I have is when did the CBC brass realize that Ghomeshi was doing whatever he was doing. Sounds like there have been complaints about his behavior from CBC staffers over the years which were ignored.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I think Lucy Decoutere coming forward in this sordid mess, took enormous courage, and I think she is to be applauded.

This is such a disturbing story on so many levels, it's going to be on the front burner for a while.

The more I read, the more shocked I am.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Jian Ghomeshi allegations leads Police Chief Bill Blair to encourage sexual assault victims to come forward
By Josh Visser, National Post
October 30, 2014 3:30 PM

Warning: Story contains disturbing details

In light of the disturbing allegations against former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair is encouraging victims of sexual abuse to come forward to police.

“Any person who has been the victim of a sexual assault, I want to encourage them to come forward and report, give us an opportunity to conduct an investigation and gather the evidence,” he said, adding that police can put victims in contact with services that could help them in their recovery.

“We are quite prepared to conduct a criminal investigation should they come forward with complaints,” he said.

Not long after Blair’s comments to reporters, two public relations companies representing Ghomeshi dropped him as a client.

Navigator, a high-stakes crisis company, said that “circumstances of our engagement” with Ghomeshi had changed and they were no longer representing him. Their relationship was first announced over the weekend when the allegations against Ghomeshi hit.

Rock-it Promotions, Ghomeshi’s long-time publicity company, also dropped him as a client Thursday afternoon.

Chief Blair said there is not an open investigation as a result of the allegations laid against Ghomeshi in the media by at least eight women.

“People may be reluctant to report their victimization and to participate in a criminal invitation or the criminal justice system,” Blair said. “Out first priority is their safety and recovery.

“One of the things we will not do is force them to do something they do not want to do,” he added when asked why police would not track down the women who have come forward in the media.

Meanwhile, the CBC is offering counselling to its employees and announced it is hiring a third-party organization to conduct an investigation into the allegations into their former star employee. Ghomeshi has filed a $55-million lawsuit against his former employer since his dismissal.

Ghomeshi broke his silence Thursday with a short Facebook post promising to respond “directly” to the latest allegations. However, he said he would not be speaking further to the media. He has lost thousands of Facebook followers since the latest allegations from a number of women on Wednesday, which included Trailer Park Boys actress Lucy DeCoutere.

DeCoutere told the Toronto Star that in 2003 Ghomeshi “choked her to the point she could not breathe and then slapped her hard three times on the side of her head.”

Another woman, a CBC producer at the time of their 2012 encounter, said Ghomeshi threw her against a wall and she felt compelled to perform fellatio on him “just to get out of there.”

Chief Blair said there is no statute of limitations for the kind of allegations that Ghomeshi is facing.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Reva Seth, author and lawyer has come forward with her allegations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/reva-seth/reva-seth-jian-ghomeshi_b_6077296.html

His PR firm, Navigator Ltd. has pulled the pin.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1437127/navigator-ltd-statement
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Even as I am cognizant of the ramifications of a he said/she said fiasco in the courts that may be lurking in the not-too-distant future for Ghomeshi, I still have this "creeped-out" sensation about the guy and this situation.
Beyond that, I would be wrong, and it would be inappropriate for me to go any further.
Plus, most of us agree, right off the top, that using some celebrity as a form of leverage for engaging in or justifying poor conduct has few supporters.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 pm

pave wrote:Even if the guy (Ghomeshi) was slapping people around and banging sheep on the side, he was and is still the only plaintiff.

Please, let's leave Baaa-bara, and Australians outa this...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News