Legal IDs

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Legal IDs

Postby jon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Rocky wrote:JACK is CKLG, not CKLG-FM. The FM attatchment is only required when there is an AM station using the same calls.

I didn't have a chance a week ago to check this out. Even though it was News to me that "-FM" was no longer required when officially referring to an FM radio station.

I still don't have a definitive answer, since I'm not very good at finding stuff on the Industry Canada site.

What I do know is that the CRTC, who you would think would be using the official legal IDs when writing about radio stations, still uses just the call letters for AM stations, and -FM after all FM stations. Specifically, the June 10th decision on CFOS Owen Sound, refers to the station as "CFOS", not CFOS-AM. Friday's decision on CFSI Salt Spring Island always says "CFSI-FM" even though there is no record of a CFSI on AM anywhere in Canada.

Anyone know the current Industry Canada requirement for Legal IDs?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Legal IDs

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:15 am

jon - Rocky is correct: the legal ID for Jack FM would be "CKLG Vancouver" When CFSI was first licensed there was NO "-FM" suffix on IC license & docs, but CRTC always used "CFSI-FM". After I acquired the license for the translator/rebroadcaster, IC legal ID became "CFSI-FM Salt Spring Island" & "CFSI-FM-1 Mt Bruce, Salt Spring Island". At 6 am daily, I ran a full legal ID with all technical details & contact information which is also in the books. IC rules state the hourly legal ID needs to be within :55 - :05 & exact time indicated on traffic logs. Us ham operators must state our callsign & the callsign of the station we are in communication with, every 30 min.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:40 am

CORRECTION UPDATE: After consulting Dan Sys Canadian Radio database, I discovered the translator/rebroadcaster in Whistler, so indeed 'Jack FM' legal ID according to IC would be "CKLG-FM Vancouver, CKLG-FM-1 Whistler" In reality/practicality the legal ID rules are pretty loose & rarely enforced (unless you happen to be CFSI!!)
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Greetings,
Thanks very much for explaining that Sky Valley, greatly appreciated. Like Jon I thought FM stations in Canada always needed the FM after the call letters too. I realized AM stations did not. You explained it well. An intereresting topic on Radio West. Thanks to everyone for commenting on it.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News